Quarterly Performance? Q3 2017

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saab93

saab93
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

Do the members here still share their quarterly performance?

Q3

90% equity (8% of this REIT index, 33% international equity)

10% fixed income

I brought in 4.97% Q3.  No reason to complain right now.  

#2 sschullo

sschullo
  • Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hi saab,

Yes, we do. It answers the question, how do carefully constructed, fully diversified stock and bond portfolios work with the ups and downs of markets, and coming from us, real people.

It's important to share as people find out the different returns of static index funds that just following the core asset classes are dependent on the stock-bond split. The higher the stock allocation the higher the return. Of course, we have had a rising stock market almost every year since 2008, so this work is straightforward. And of course, in a stock market crash the higher the equity allocation, the higher the risk, the more money you will lose. At my age, I cannot afford a high-risk portfolio in a crash, and that's why my stock-bond allocation remains 30%/70%. Still, I am expecting about 6%!  YTD, not just Q3.

Anyway, I am working on mine and will post shortly. 

Steve

Steve Schullo

Author and Co-Author of two books:

1. Late Bloomer Millionaires: A Financial Story and Investment Guide for the Late Starter (2013)

2. Fighting Powerful Interests: Educators Challenge Tax-sheltered Annuities and WIN! (2015)

#3 tony

tony
  • Members
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

I haven't checked my allocation lately it should be about 55 stocks 45 bonds. and cash . or somewhere in that range. I own most money in Vanguard Life Strategy Conservative Growth Fund which maintains a 60 bond 40 stock allocation in index funds. Around the edges I own a mid cap index fund and a small cap index fund to boost the lower end of the stock market since Total Stock market Index tends towards large caps. Last time I checked I had  under 20% International funds.  A quick look at my morningstar page indicates a year to date return of 9.93% and a one year return of 11.08%  My expense ratio average is.0.09% which is low enough for me!  I am paying no other fees since all money is in now IRA's or taxable accounts with Vanguard.

I can't complain with that kind of return. Saab, give us your YTD return so I can compare it to my return. YTD you should be doing much better than me with your allocation. My best performer is Total International Index at 21.66 %

#4 saab93

saab93
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi tony, 

YTD is 14.34.  It would be better, but that small percentage in the REIT index is flat this year, dragging the performance down.  1 Year is at 18.5. 

It is good information and to be reminded of the performance of these various allocations posted is helpful! 

#5 Imua808

Imua808
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Neat to think about... I haven't talked about investments to anyone in my real life and I'm still figuring it out.

I'm  mimicking  the allocation for the Vanguard Target retirement 2045 fund, which is currently a 90/10...I'm with security benefit and utilizing vanguard admiral shares.  I try not to think about it too much since I have quite a bit of time before I retire, but I think I'd be more mentally comfortable with a 60/40 split.  I know you're supposed to look at all one's accounts as one big portfolio, but in my 457, I only picked up the vanguard wellington fund which I believe is a 60/40 AA anyway.   

Since it is so new to me, I probably peek at it way too often.  Since I don't have that much invested, it's all small ups and downs. 

Do you all check in quarterly or more often? 

#6 saab93

saab93
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Do you all check in quarterly or more often? 

I actually glance at Morningstar each evening and log into my 403b most days.  I have to keep Morningstar up to date too, so I try not to get behind.  Especially with the 403b, I have to enter the $1.50 TPA fees divided up between all the funds, so it's a bit tedious.  

I see it both ways.

I think it would be fantastic to do as Bogle says, forget about it.  If a busy life and not a priority, it is about the only way to go. And then just go "wow." when you see the balance.

On the other hand, it's possible there is some motivation in checking in regularly, motivation to increase contributions, etc.  PLUS, I have caught payroll contributions not in 403b as late as the 22nd of the month after payroll and they admit to me they forgot to send in the check.  So for the 403b/457 accounts, sometimes checking that your contributions are actually applied is important.   

#7 tony

tony
  • Members
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Don't ignore. I think Bogle means don't keep trading funds. Leave them alone.  You learn a lot about finance and  investing by following your funds. I check them often.  Feeding your funds into Morningstar ######-ray gives pretty cool info .  If you have never done so you should.

Tony

#8 sschullo

sschullo
  • Members
  • 4,381 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

32% Stocks/ 68% bonds/cash

Q3 YTD Return: 6.6% 

Great year so far. 

Returns by Investment. International stocks are on a blistering RUN this year! Holy Crap! 

Investment/Year To Date YTD Return

Vanguard Total International Stock Index 22%

Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF 14%

Vanguard Extended Market Index 13%

Vanguard Wellesley Income 7%

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index 3%

Treasury Direct iBond 2%

TIAA 2%

Vanguard Total International Bond Index 1%

Vanguard Prime Money Market Investor 1%

Steve Schullo

Author and Co-Author of two books:

1. Late Bloomer Millionaires: A Financial Story and Investment Guide for the Late Starter (2013)

2. Fighting Powerful Interests: Educators Challenge Tax-sheltered Annuities and WIN! (2015)