Any Pension Trustee's On The Board

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DustinVoss

DustinVoss
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

January made 10-yrs in Chicago Public Schools making me eligible to run for a teacher spot on our pension board. I wonder if any posters have experience as pension trustees and might offer advice for me.

I am confident I can be a powerful advocate for pensioners and that I have an above average understanding of finance and investment. What I do worry about is the time commitment diminishing my teaching efforts and family life. I'm also unsure as to my prospects for success. We're a HUGE district and my name is somewhat well known because of my work on the district wide financial literacy curriculum and advocacy within our union, but I'll need 200 signatures to get on the ballot and then I'll have to win in November.

#2 tony

tony
  • Members
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Dustin

I wish I could be one of those signatures for you. Good luck!!

#3 sschullo

sschullo
  • Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Getting 200 signatures is the easy part. Getting your union's official endorsement might be a little harder, and of course getting elected is tougher. 

I ran for the CalSTRS board years ago as an independent, just wanted to experience what it would be like. I had no chance because the CTA runs this state, and their candidate won easily. But I did get almost 5,000 votes with no campaign, and my local union president and treasurer and I were in a feud, over making TIAA a union approved vendor. I got some endorsements from a school board member, Dan Otter here and a couple of individuals. 

Yes, it's a big commitment. Be careful what you run for because you might win, and then you have to serve. If you have any doubts, don't waste your time and your supporters. You have to be in it 100%, and really want to win. Be sure and get your family to support you, and know your time commitment. 

Steve Schullo

Author and Co-Author of two books:

1. Late Bloomer Millionaires: A Financial Story and Investment Guide for the Late Starter (2013)

2. Fighting Powerful Interests: Educators Challenge Tax-sheltered Annuities and WIN! (2015)