Jump to content


Transfer 457 Funds

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sheryl

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

I retired effective May 1, 2008 from my county government job. I have a pension and also two 457 funds: one at the State 457 fund and one at the county 457 fund. Would it be in my interest to rollover these funds into an IRA? Right now, I have the funds in a stable account, but the local financial advisor says taking these funds into an IRA would give me more options. Need some ideas. I am only 56.

Thank you for your input.

#2 Admin



  • Admin
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

One reason to move this money would be to gain access to a financial firm not offered by your employer. If you are using an advisor be sure that their recommendations are in your interest and not just theirs. For more info on working with an advisor see the 403(b)wise Advisor Questionnaire.

Dan Otter

#3 Guest_J Simmons_*

Guest_J Simmons_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:48 PM


#4 sschullo

  • Members
  • 4,381 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hi sheryl,
The key here is your knowledge of the options available (not only from your advisor) and what constitutes your best interests. The red flag is that it was your adviser who said that you could have more options. No adviser will recommend this without some compensation and or is selling and leading you to another expensive product. Compensating the adviser is fine as long as you KNOW what exactly how much you are paying him or her to to roll over your 403b into an IRA and how much the costs are year after year after moving. Nobody is twisting your arm to change right now until you know what is going on first.
Please do not believe that your advisor is doing this for free, they are not. Sounds like your are satisfied with what you have right now.
Just my 2 cents worth,

Steve Schullo

Author and Co-Author of two books:

1. Late Bloomer Millionaires: A Financial Story and Investment Guide for the Late Starter (2013)

2. Fighting Powerful Interests: Educators Challenge Tax-sheltered Annuities and WIN! (2015)

#5 John Feldt

John Feldt
  • Members
  • 276 posts
  • Location:West Des Moines, IA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:00 AM

Do you want to use any of the 457(b) money before you reach age 59.5?

If yes, then be careful. If you roll over to the IRA, then the 10% excise tax will likely apply to the withdrawals made before age 59.5.

However, taxable withdrawals (amounts not rolled over) taken directly from the 457(b) plan, regardless of age, are not subject to the 10% excise tax. So to avoid the 10% excise tax, do not roll everything to an IRA, but consider leaving some in the 457(b) plan until you reach 59.5.

Of course, if you don't expect to need any of it before age 59.5, then the rollover option would be worth looking at if you feel your investment options in the 457(b) plan are inadequate for your investment portfolio needs.

Say, that 10% hit seems fairly important, doesn't it? Did the local financial advisor educate you about that issue? If not, then we're glad you asked here.

Keep in mind, the investment 'options' available in an IRA are also the path to commissions for the financial advisor (that's okay, just be aware of what's going on in their mind and don't be afraid to ask how they get paid and how much it is, because it comes out of your money). In this case, IMHO, seeking the advice from a tax advisor (after having heard from the financial advisor) would be a reasonable course of action.

I hope this helps!

#6 sheryl

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Thank you everyone that provided some information to ponder.

All of you gave me food for thought on how to proceed.

Now to calm the financial advisor to wait a little bit.

#7 Thomas

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

I have a 457 government plan and want to know if I might be able to roll over a portion of that plan into an IRA?

#8 Admin



  • Admin
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hey Thomas,

Only after you have separate from service may you move 457(b) money to an IRA account.

Dan Otter