Sign in to follow this  
lobewiper

Can A 457 Be Rolled Into An Ira Post-Retirement?

Hi All,

I have a TIAA IRA which originally was 403b money from teaching at several different institutions. (I think I rolled the individual college's money to the IRA to make it a bit easier to manage). I am still working and contributing to a 403b through my employer w. Metlife. I know I can roll the Metlife to TIAA upon retirement to simplify money management.

My question: If I now open a Metlife 457, can I also roll its accumulation to my TIAA IRA upon retirement? I am hoping I can because the 457 money would be pre-tax dollars, just like the TIAA and Metlife accounts I currently have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi All,

I have a TIAA IRA which originally was 403b money from teaching at several different institutions. (I think I rolled the individual college's money to the IRA to make it a bit easier to manage). I am still working and contributing to a 403b through my employer w. Metlife. I know I can roll the Metlife to TIAA upon retirement to simplify money management.

My question: If I now open a Metlife 457, can I also roll its accumulation to my TIAA IRA upon retirement? I am hoping I can because the 457 money would be pre-tax dollars, just like the TIAA and Metlife accounts I currently have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi,

Part of the answer depends on who your current employer is - governmental 457 plans have different rollover rules than non-governmental plans.

If the employer was a government organization, then a rollover option exists.

If the employer was a non-profit company, then you cannot rollover, but depending on the terms of the plan, you could make a written election to delay the taxation of the benefits in the plan.