bWise Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DustinVoss

Supplemental Insurance From Nta

As the guardian of my staff that keeps folks selling annuities out, I recently let an NTA Life insurance salesman come in and speak to staff about supplemental insurance. I looked at the products and although they dont seem right for someone that has the rest of their financial life in order, it seems like it could make sense, particularly for folks with a reasonable expectation that they are at high risk for cancer and/or heart disease.

Thoughts?

Forget it, waste of money. The only fairly valid links to cancer are smoking and exposure to radiation. Everything else, the medical profession does not know crap. For example, my Dan had two cancers within five years and the 2nd one killed him in a week. Dan's mother is still alive at 97 and his father lived to be 90, healthy, he was driving up until a few months before he died. Nobody in Dan's immediate family has had cancer, but he had two. Go figure.

The best way to deal with a potential health problem for EVERYONE is to save in a tax-deferred retirement account. In that way, if one has a health problem that they will need to retire earlier than anticipated, they can still get their pension which will be lower and have the 403b to supplement the pension. Relying on health insurance to way too expensive for a disease you might never get, and if a person has a pre-existing disease, the premiums will be high.