Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

Los Angeles Teachers and LAUSD Employees

Another 403b and 457b investment workshop is scheduled for Saturday, March 17th from 8:00 to 1:00 pm. Need to register. 

The flyer has all of the details and contact information: 

Flyer.JPG

Pushing this up.

Link to register: https://www.utla.net/events/financial-literacy-101-workshop 

This rare workshop is being presented under extraordinary efforts. Nowhere else in California is a workshop like this is offered.

As public school educators we are extremely fortunate we have a pension plan. Additionally, Los Angeles Unified School District employees are fortunate even more! With 15 years of LAUSD service, we have health care for the rest of our lives. With the retirement planning offered in this workshop to supplement by using a low cost 403(b) or the low-cost Award Winning 457(b) with these two great institution benefits (pension and health care) already in place for you, you can retire early and start another career. Or just retire early! 

I am living proof of retiring early even though I started teaching at age 37 and only worked 24 years, I retired at 61 with plenty of money. But I invested in my 403(b) almost all of my years of teaching. After some massive mistakes, I discovered investing and my money grew with the stock and bond market (versus those horrible, costly and low performing annuity products), I could not put away much because of the high cost of living in Los Angeles, but I did because I didn't purchase new cars, lived within my means, during all of those years. I was also lucky to have a spouse for 40 years and also an educator. BTW, both of us started with NOTHING in our 30s and we were NOT from wealthy families AT ALL! 

Discover how to manage your money without an adviser. Please come to this rare workshop!

Link to register: https://www.utla.net/events/financial-literacy-101-workshop

You will not be disappointed! Here is what previous LAUSD teachers said about our past financial literacy workshops: http://latebloomerwealth.com/investment-workshop-evaluation-results/ 

Pushing this up.

This extremely rare financial literacy workshop designed for Prek-12 public educators has been approved for five hours of PD! It's more than retirement planning because we already have a pension. Its also about your eventual financial independence and learning how to incorporate some of the material to teach your students.

If you save and invest your 403(b) or 457(b) wisely (low cost, diversified stock and bond portfolio), you will be able to retire earlier than most educators. LAUSD employees, we have our health benefits in retirement too! That's huge! The vast majority of American workers have neither a pension or their employer supported health benefits. 

Recap 

LAUSD certificated employees are extremely lucky. We have three monster retirement and financial independence benefits available: 

1. A Pension. 

2. A low-cost Award Winning 457(b) plan. You also have a 403(b) but most of those products are costly, commission laden, and low-performance annuity products, or expensive advisory broker-dealer firms. Pension2 and TIAA are the only low-cost options available. CalSTRS Pension2 is AWESOME! 

3. We have our health care coverage for ourselves and our dependents! 

This workshop will show you have to invest WISELY in that low-cost Award Winning 457(b) plan. You will not be disappointed. Read the responses to a previous workshop: http://latebloomerwealth.com/investment-workshop-evaluation-results/

The workshop is this Saturday. register here: https://www.utla.net/events/financial-literacy-101-workshop 

Jam-packed agenda! 

Financial Literacy 101/Investment Workshop

March 17, 2018

8:00 am              Introduction/ Review of the agenda/survey of attendees/ announcements                                      Dr. Sandy Keaton  retired audiologist for LAUSD and former UTLA Retirement Issues Retirement committee Chair

8:30 am              Importance of Saving and Investment  Basics    Barbara Healy, LAUSD 457b advisory committee financial consultant. 

9:30 am              JumpStart Financial Literacy Website by John Lanza. John has a plethora of experience teaching money related issues to children. More information about John: https://www.mint.com/expert-interview-john-lanza-talking-young-children-about-money

9:50 am              Break

10:10 am            Retirement Investing through 403(b) and 457(b) plans Carol Lally from the San Francisco office of the Securities and Exchange Commission. 

10:40 am           Break

11:00 am           Navigating the LAUSD Investment Menu                             Barbara Healy 

Noon               CalSTRS 403bCompare                  Kevin Kirkpatrick, CalSTRS consultant

12:30 pm         Next steps/Your action plan/Financial Literacy Websites  Steve Schullo,  Sue Crosby and Sandy Keaton   Steve and Sandy are retired and Sue is an active teacher for LAUSD         

90 LAUSD and UTLA members have registered.

The room can hold about 300, so there is plenty of room for more people who want to learn from our top-notch presenters, including a woman from the Los Angeles Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) (not the SF office) who have now conducting financial education programs for teachers here in California. Both the L.A. and the SF office read the NY Times series of the 403b with public K12 1.5 years ago and took notice that something more needs to be done to stop the abuse of our teachers with high cost and inappropriate 403b retirement plans through their inhouse education programs, which are excellent btw.

If any California teacher wants to connect with either office and request presenters, I am sure they will come, but you have to have a fairly large group.  Anyway, talk to them and ask.

Contact information: 

• Los Angeles Regional Office 444 South Flower Street, Suite 900. Los Angeles, CA 90071 323-965-3998 ... 351 S. West Temple St., Suite 6. 
  • San Francisco Regional Office 44 Montgomery Street, Suite 2800. San Francisco, CA 94104 415-705-2500. 
  •  

45 minutes ago, krow36 said:

HAVE! (science and math teacher)  She has. . . . they have.

This always confuses me, because I don't know what the subject is or if its a plural or singular. Your example is clear and I get the She and they. The first is singular and the 2nd is plural. I just didn't know what the subject was: over or 100. 

2 hours ago, sschullo said:

Update over 100 has (or have? English teachers?) now registered! 

Well, if you say: "Update has now registered" or "Update have now registered" to yourself, you see that doesn't make sense, so Update is not the subject. Likewise if you say "over has now registered". So the subject must be "100", and 100 is plural, and so it's "100 have now registered". If only 1 had registered, it would be "1 has now registered". 

Actually Update isn't really part of the sentence--it's more of a heading and should have a colon.

Update:  Over 100 have now registered!

4 hours ago, krow36 said:

Well, if you say: "Update has now registered" or "Update have now registered" to yourself, you see that doesn't make sense, so Update is not the subject. Likewise if you say "over has now registered". So the subject must be "100", and 100 is plural, and so it's "100 have now registered". If only 1 had registered, it would be "1 has now registered". 

Actually Update isn't really part of the sentence--it's more of a heading and should have a colon.

Update:  Over 100 have now registered!

Yeah, Update should have had a colon, me bad. 

Thanks, teacher! even though I have written 2 books, and over 100 blog posts, 7000 messages on 3 investment forums since 1997 and published articles in the professional literature and the popular press, I still need an editor! LOL! 

Awaiting your results Steve!

In New York, NYSUT endorses the "sharks" for its dues-paying members while offering a better 401k plan for its employees. No wonder they shut me down. My professional development course is pending approval now from an outside venue. Somehow, I can't see teachers getting PD credit for it since it does not benefit the student or the district. 

I re-read the Shart Attack article from 18 years ago and regret that little has changed. When I became a teacher in 2003, I had no inkling. How would I and more importantly, how can we better alert the new teachers coming in today?