bWise Forums
lobewiper

Total return vs. daily price of mutual funds

Hi all,

Would like to know if there is a free or for-fee charting service that plots total returns (i.e., including dividends and capital gains) for mutual fund prices over various time periods, including custom time periods. TIAA reports total returns for a fund's YTD performance, but not for any other time periods. The main free charting sites ( e.g.,yahoo finance, marketwatch) only report NAV's (Net Asset Value-or the share price for a particular day), so when a fund goes ex=dividend, the share price suddenly drops approximately the amount of the dividend (or capital gain), and often with no explanation.   Any suggestions?

My bad. TIAA does show total returns for the following with respect to their list of all mutual funds (not just TIAA funds): YTD, 1 yr, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, and "since inception." What they don't give is the possibility of comparing funds for the last 1, 2, 3, etc. months, so you can't say, "I'll compare funds based on their performance over the last three months, and not to mention "since May 17, 2018."

Morningstar has what you’re looking for.

As counterintuitive as it may seem, it is a recipe for disaster to select mutual funds based on past performance, especially over short periods of time.

I could explain further, but I didn’t want to step on the soapbox just yet because I’m not sure why you’re wanting to perform the comparison.

3 hours ago, lobewiper said:
3 hours ago, lobewiper said:

My bad. TIAA does show total returns for the following with respect to their list of all mutual funds (not just TIAA funds): YTD, 1 yr, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, and "since inception." What they don't give is the possibility of comparing funds for the last 1, 2, 3, etc. months, so you can't say, "I'll compare funds based on their performance over the last three months, and not to mention "since May 17, 2018."

This site might help. But not sure its exactly what you are looking for. It will let you do a 5 day ,one month ,three month and beyond comparisons  of  up to 24 multiple  funds on a graph format. you can also compare a fund against its index or any other index.

https://www.nasdaq.com/quotes/mutual-fund-comparison-charts.aspx

As counterintuitive as it may seem, it is a recipe for disaster to select mutual funds based on past performance, especially over short periods of time.

I could explain further, but I didn’t want to step on the soapbox just yet because I’m not sure why you’re wanting to perform the comparison.  

Russ

• I have had good results when using the last several months as a predictor of future performance, and I have used successfully that same information to identify risks of continuing to hold seriously underperforming funds.  Of course, it's not a magical, silver bullet approach, but it's often better than looking at long term results when one is a relatively short term investor (a year
  • or less).  I nonetheless appreciated your response.
  •  

•  

Charting the total returns of mutual funds over custom time periods.  I wasn't able to find whether "total returns" or "daily NAV" (share price) was being plotted in the NASDAQ charts. I will look again this weekend.

Russ

Sounds like you’re set on this course of action. If you’re ever open to persuasion in the future then I or anybody else can lay out the case for you.

Best of luck.