whyme

Money Moustache responds to Suze O

Great article Whyme. We can always count on you to step in at the right time. I love this kind of debate. When opposite sides of an argument clash we learn the truth which is usually somewhere in the middle. I wish my son would become a Fire follower/advocate. It would do him a world of good to adopt some of what the author says.

As for me?  I find the writer of this article somewhat pollyannaish in his defense of the movement. Nothing wrong with that though.

Tony

“There’s a tricky paradox going on here: the more people you reach, the bigger the range of misconceptions that will come up, potentially cockblocking your movement before it really takes off.”

Geez ??

Just now, EdLaFave said:

“There’s a tricky paradox going on here: the more people you reach, the bigger the range of misconceptions that will come up, potentially cockblocking your movement before it really takes off.”

Geez ??

I saw that too.  I didn't know cockblocking was now an acceptable journalistic term.

I’ve really enjoyed reading about this for the last few days, but I haven’t found either side of the argument particularly engaging.

As this article points out, we’re basically arguing over an equation that has some level of uncertainty built into it. It is hard for me to get too excited about math, but I’m pretty excited about the benefits and viability of FIRE. 

3 hours ago, MNGopher said:

I didn't know cockblocking was now an acceptable journalistic term.

... or a term acceptable to the software on this board, which prohibits such offensive words as V I D E O.

34 minutes ago, whyme said:

or a term acceptable to the software on this board, which prohibits such offensive terms as V I D E O.

The censorship on this board drives me nuts. I have to type exploít with an accent mark or it to will be blocked. Plenty of other innocuous words are banned as well.

...but hey, we’ve got cockblocking to help us express our thoughts ??‍♂️

You guys are funny!!  I had never heard of that word/phrase before. I had to look it up. Strange choice of word I must say. I guess I am a cockblocker.

lol, you had to look up cockblocker and I had to google pollyannaish. We’re all learning across generational divides in this post.