Sign in to follow this  
texasdiver

Is There A Good Master List Of 403(b) Plans?

Hi everyone:

I'm a relatively experienced investor with IRAs and the Federal Employee's thrift savings plan. But I'm entirely new to the world of 403(b) plans. My wife is starting a new job with a public health clinic and she was told she can open a 403(b) plan with any fund manager or insurance company that she wants to use. They have no restrictions on approved plans. Based on one day of research so far, I have discerned that we are probably talking about 403(b)(7) plans as her payroll office has no specific list of "approved" plans but can only just give me a list of the current plans that other employees are using.

Based on that, I have tried to find out which traditional fund companies offer 403(b)(7) plans so I can help her make the choice of which direction to go. I have no interest at all in insurance companies or any other nonsense that involves commissions. And it seems to me that most of the 403(b) sites google produces are along those lines. I can use Morningstar to evaluate fund companies and individual funds. But what I have been unable to find is some sort of master list of fund companies that actually offer 403(b) plans. Obviously there's TIAA-CREF. But beyond that it's a bit of a mystery. I've googled up Vanguard's 403(b)(7) page and that seems to be one very obvious and compelling option. But I haven't found any other company's sites. For example, I saw T-Row Price listed somewhere as a 403(b) manager but cannot find any information on 403(b)s on their web site which lacks a search feature so you're forced to just drill down and explore blind leads and all I get to on the T-Row Price page is IRA and 401(k) info.

At this point I'm 90% ready to just put her in Vanguard. Because they are hard to beat on any account. And what I would likely pick anyway. But I wanted to have a better idea of what the alternative options are before making that decision.

Guest Sierra

You would be hard pressed to find a mutual fund (load or no-load) that doesn't offer a section 403(b)7 account.

You would be hard pressed to find a mutual fund (load or no-load) that doesn't offer a section 403(b)7 account.

OK, but danged if I can find any information about it on their web sites. Am I looking in the wrong places? I went to T-Rowe Price and Dodge & Cox (two of the companies where I have IRAs) and couldn't find any 403(b)(7) information at all. Neither web sites offer search functions and I can't find anything but IRA information by just browsing.

I guess that's what the 800 numbers are for. But still, I hate calling some outsourced customer service rep to find out information that I should be able to find online.

OK, but danged if I can find any information about it on their web sites. Am I looking in the wrong places? I went to T-Rowe Price and Dodge & Cox (two of the companies where I have IRAs) and couldn't find any 403(b)(7) information at all. Neither web sites offer search functions and I can't find anything but IRA information by just browsing.

I guess that's what the 800 numbers are for. But still, I hate calling some outsourced customer service rep to find out information that I should be able to find online.

Go to the following Fidelity site. You can find forms and all that you need at this site:

http://www.mysavingsatwork.com/atwork.htm

Hi,

www.403bcompare.com is a site put out by the CA govt. which lists many companies and expenses that are used in CA.

The vendor that your wife uses has to be approved by her employer..

In my opinion Vanguard has the best 403b . Try one of their age appropriate target funds(fund of funds) since Vanguard charges a 10 fee per fund each year,

Ira

Her employer says she can pick any 403(b) manager she wants. They don't have any pre-approved list or anything like that. So apparently she has complete freedom.

Vanguard age-based funds were EXACTLY what I was thinking. At least until the balance becomes large enough to be worth spreading around in a more sophisticated manner. Glad to see we're thinking in the same direction.

In any event, thanks for the advice. I'll go look at the CA site and see what they have. I'm almost certainly going to go with Vanguard though, for the simplicity and low fees.

Thanks,

Kent

Hey Texasdiver,

Here's a link to T. Rowe Price's specific 403(b) page. You'll see it even has a video discription of the 403(b). You will also see a link to their age based funds (called T. Rowe Price Retirement Funds).

Dan Otter

Hi everyone:

I'm a relatively experienced investor with IRAs and the Federal Employee's thrift savings plan. But I'm entirely new to the world of 403(b) plans. My wife is starting a new job with a public health clinic and she was told she can open a 403(b) plan with any fund manager or insurance company that she wants to use. They have no restrictions on approved plans. Based on one day of research so far, I have discerned that we are probably talking about 403(b)(7) plans as her payroll office has no specific list of "approved" plans but can only just give me a list of the current plans that other employees are using.

Based on that, I have tried to find out which traditional fund companies offer 403(b)(7) plans so I can help her make the choice of which direction to go. I have no interest at all in insurance companies or any other nonsense that involves commissions. And it seems to me that most of the 403(b) sites google produces are along those lines. I can use Morningstar to evaluate fund companies and individual funds. But what I have been unable to find is some sort of master list of fund companies that actually offer 403(b) plans. Obviously there's TIAA-CREF. But beyond that it's a bit of a mystery. I've googled up Vanguard's 403(b)(7) page and that seems to be one very obvious and compelling option. But I haven't found any other company's sites. For example, I saw T-Row Price listed somewhere as a 403(b) manager but cannot find any information on 403(b)s on their web site which lacks a search feature so you're forced to just drill down and explore blind leads and all I get to on the T-Row Price page is IRA and 401(k) info.

At this point I'm 90% ready to just put her in Vanguard. Because they are hard to beat on any account. And what I would likely pick anyway. But I wanted to have a better idea of what the alternative options are before making that decision.

Guest Sierra

Ronald,

I believe all mutual funds, load and no-loads, offer section 403(b)7 Custodial Accounts.

Peace and Hope,

Joel L. Frank