scott dorrance

Part Time Employee

I work full time for one employer and part time for another. The part time emplyer provide 457b plan to it's full time employee's but not to it's part time employees.

They have stated that a part time employee that has a full time employer is expempt from their plan and they do not have to contribute to a ss plan. Does any one know of this rule?

Hi Scott,

The following comes from the FAQ section of 457(b)wise

Are all employees eligible to contribute to a governmental 457(b) plan?

Unlike the 403(b) plan, there is no universal accessibility under the 457(b). This means that employers are not required to make the plan available to all employees. However, any individual who performs service for the employer, including independent contractors, are eligible to participate in the plan. Your employer's plan document should spell out the specific rules for contribution.

Dan Otter

Hi Scott,

Unlike the 403(b) plan, there is no universal accessibility under the 457(b). This means that employers are not required to make the plan available to all employees. However, any individual who performs service for the employer, including independent contractors, are eligible to participate in the plan. Your employer's plan document should spell out the specific rules for contribution.

Dan Otter

In that case is the employer require to participate in a Social Security plan of some kind for the employee?

I have worked for them some time and have no Social security deductions taken out of my payroll.

Guest Sierra

Hi Scott,

Dan Otter

In that case is the employer require to participate in a Social Security plan of some kind for the employee?

I have worked for them some time and have no Social security deductions taken out of my payroll.

You should pose this question to your pt employer asap. Ask them for a written answer so that you may analyze it. Please post their answer.

Joel