Sign in to follow this  
Anonymous Coward

Fixed Annuities: Ballpark Rates Currently Available?

I checked with OCTFCU, and they told me their fixed annuities are offering rates guaranteed up to five years of 7%.

Anybody know what is a good ballpark figure is for the current going rate on a fixed annuity product?

Thanks in advance...

I checked with OCTFCU, and they told me their fixed annuities are offering rates guaranteed up to five years of 7%.

Anybody know what is a good ballpark figure is for the current going rate on a fixed annuity product?

Thanks in advance...

Are you talking about the annuity offerings, or their 7% CD? They currently have a 457-only 5-year CD offered at 7%.

They do have a 457(b) that has a five year CD with an APY of 7%, not an annuity. There is no other company that comes close to this rate. They use it to buy TPA business, but if appropriate, its a good option for fixed money.

ScottyD

Are you talking about the annuity offerings, or their 7% CD? They currently have a 457-only 5-year CD offered at 7%.

I talked with one of their reps on the phone, and she steered me to that rate on one of their pages. I don't plan to buy a fixed annuity, but I just want to know what sort of rates are typically available right now for those who do buy them. I suspect the rates would be a little better than what a CD would pay, but I don't actually know and was unable to find anything concrete on the Web.

Ok, that is what both Scotty and I were referring to. That is an NCUA insured CD guaranteed for 5 years to pay 7% APY. (They also have shorter term rates.. 1 year and 3 year.) It is only available for use within 457 plans in participating school districts.

Regarding the Nationwide products, I believe there was a link on another thread referencing the OCTFCU plan. You can look up the ticker symbols for performance. (Mutual funds are never guaranteed, so you would never be quoted a rate for one.)

Not sure if you still wanted an answer to fixed annuities or not, but the answer is they are horrible right now. Most of them offer a great first year rate (4-7%) but then drop to around 3.5%. Taxation/deferral are different, but CD's and money markets are doing much better than that, and are liquid. Pros and Cons to everything!

Not sure if you still wanted an answer to fixed annuities or not, but the answer is they are horrible right now. Most of them offer a great first year rate (4-7%) but then drop to around 3.5%. Taxation/deferral are different, but CD's and money markets are doing much better than that, and are liquid. Pros and Cons to everything!

Many thanks.