lindaz

Withdrawal Of Funds

I have been saving the maximum for the past five years in a 403b and a 457b. A colleague told me yesterday that I will have to withdraw my entire 457b when I retire in three years. If this is true (and I haven't read anything that says it is) I would have to pay huge taxes when I retire and take out all that money at once. Can someone inform me about the requirements?

Thanks,

Linda

Guest Sierra

I have been saving the maximum for the past five years in a 403b and a 457b. A colleague told me yesterday that I will have to withdraw my entire 457b when I retire in three years. If this is true (and I haven't read anything that says it is) I would have to pay huge taxes when I retire and take out all that money at once. Can someone inform me about the requirements?

Thanks,

Linda

Your friend is wrong. Do yourself a favor and start reading the literature on distributions that you received from the outfits that sold you these financial products.

Thanks,

Linda

Are you employed by a non profit or goverment entity? Government workers who participate in a 457b plan can rollover a lump sum distribution to an IRA. Non profit employees are not permitted to rollover the funds to an IRA.

Guest Sierra

Thanks,

Linda

Are you employed by a non profit or goverment entity? Government workers who participate in a 457b plan can rollover a lump sum distribution to an IRA. Non profit employees are not permitted to rollover the funds to an IRA.

Lindaz: I would remain with the 457 Plan after retirement provided I am pleased with the investment selection, fees and service. I find too many participants rollover to an IRA because some professional distributor wandered into their kitchen and had a gift for gab. Please describe your Plan to us.

Joel L. Frank

Yes, the type of employer you work for really matters here, as both intruder and Joel (Sierra) mention above.

If you work for a non-profit company (not a government), then you should be very careful about what you elect to do and when you must make such an election. It can make a huge impact on your taxes.

If you work for a government, then it's easy to avoid the taxation, as mentioned in both of the above posts.