Dogmom

457/divorce

Hello,

I have a question if anyone can help me. My husband has filed for a divorce and in the papers I was given he is offering me his 457. The account is (as of 2-1-08) worth a little over 29,000.00. My husband told me I would only get about 7500.00 due to the 'hit' he will have to take for taking the money out. Does that sound correct? It seems a little much for a penalty to me. Thanks in advance!

Guest Sierra

Hello,

I have a question if anyone can help me. My husband has filed for a divorce and in the papers I was given he is offering me his 457. The account is (as of 2-1-08) worth a little over 29,000.00. My husband told me I would only get about 7500.00 due to the 'hit' he will have to take for taking the money out. Does that sound correct? It seems a little much for a penalty to me. Thanks in advance!

Dogmom: What is your husband's employment status?--- because while in-service he may not withdraw his/her 457 balance. Has his Plan's Administrator told him he can?

Joel L. Frank

Is he giving you the entire 457 account, or just a portion of it? If he really is giving you the entire account, $7,500 out of an original account balance of $29,000 seems incredibly small.

Vince,

That what I was thinking also and why I posted here. Yes, it is the entire amount. I have a call into my lawyer but the waiting is really bothering me.

Thanks for the reply

Guest Sierra

Vince,

That what I was thinking also and why I posted here. Yes, it is the entire amount. I have a call into my lawyer but the waiting is really bothering me.

Thanks for the reply

Re: Emergency Withdrawal:

Divorce, in and of itself, is not enough of a reason to close out the account while still working. Your husband's entire financial picture needs to be investigated by the Deferred Compensation Board before reaching a decision on his Emergency Withdrawal request. I assure you, if they follow the IRS rules---which they should--- it is a humdinger of an investigation.

Vince,

Thanks for the reply

Divorce, in and of itself, is not enough of a reason to close out the account while still working. Your husband's entire financial picture needs to be investigated by the Deferred Compensation Board before reaching a decision on his Emergency Withdrawal request. I assure you, if they follow the IRS rules---which they should--- it is a humdinger of an investigation.

Couldn't it be released as decreed by QDRO if the plan document allows it?

Guest Sierra

Vince,

Thanks for the reply

Vince, I thought about a QDRO too but my research doesn't address it. How about yours?

Best,

Joel

Guest Sierra

Vince,

Thanks for the reply

Vince, I thought about a QDRO too but my research doesn't address it. How about yours?

Best,

Joel

Vince:

The IRS in Q & A sessions has stipulated that divorce/separation is one of the situations that do NOT allow for the cashing in of the account. This is great fodder for my Column in The Chief-Civil Service Leader.

Dogmom---would you care to give us any feedback?

Peace and Hope,

Joel L. Frank

Vince,

Thanks for the reply

Best,

Joel

Vince:

The IRS in Q & A sessions has stipulated that divorce/separation is one of the situations that do NOT allow for the cashing in of the account. This is great fodder for my Column in The Chief-Civil Service Leader.

Peace and Hope,

Joel L. Frank

Joel:

Since you you have an appetite for great fodder you better check reg. 1.457-10© which discusses the availibility of QDROs before writing your column. Dont say I never did you a favor.

Guest Sierra

Vince,

Thanks for the reply

Best,

Joel

Vince:

Peace and Hope,

Joel L. Frank

Joel:

Since you you have an appetite for great fodder you better check reg. 1.457-10© which discusses the availibility of QDROs before writing your column. Dont say I never did you a favor.

Would you be gracious enough to post up the reg you cite so all of us can see it?

Thanks,

Joel

Guest Sierra

Vince,

Thanks for the reply

Best,

Joel

Vince:

Peace and Hope,

Joel L. Frank

Joel:

It took me about 1 minute to find the reg and post it up---Why couldn't Intruder do the same? Here is the reg referred to by Intruder:

© "Qualified domestic relations orders under eligible plans—(1) General rule. An eligible plan does not become an ineligible plan described in section 457(f) solely because its administrator or sponsor complies with a qualified domestic relations order as defined in section 414(p), including an order requiring the distribution of the benefits of a participant to an alternate payee in advance of the general rules for eligible plan distributions under §1.457–6. If a distribution or payment is made from an eligible plan to an alternate payee pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order, rules similar to the rules of section 402(e)(1)(A) shall apply to the distribution or payment."

=============================================================

This reg is irrelevant to the instant case because the IRS has taken the position that a Divorce/Separation is not a situation/circumstance that qualifies for a cash out of the 457(b) account---so the Court will not include the cash out of the account as part of a QDRO.

Peace and Hope,

Joel L. Frank

414(p) 10-12:

(10) Waiver of certain distribution requirements With respect to the requirements of subsections (a) and (k) of section 401, section 403 (b), section 409(d), and section 457 (d), a plan shall not be treated as failing to meet such requirements solely by reason of payments to an alternative payee pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order.

(11) Application of rules to certain other plans For purposes of this title, a distribution or payment from a governmental plan (as defined in subsection (d)) or a church plan (as described in subsection (e)) or an eligible deferred compensation plan (within the meaning of section 457(b)) shall be treated as made pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order if it is made pursuant to a domestic relations order which meets the requirement of clause (i) of paragraph (1)(A).

(12) Tax treatment of payments from a section 457 plan If a distribution or payment from an eligible deferred compensation plan described in section 457 (b) is made pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order, rules similar to the rules of section 402 (e)(1)(A) shall apply to such distribution or payment.

Guest Sierra

Vince:

A QDRO, if necessary in the instant case, will not include the cash out of the 457(b) account because the IRS has stipulated that a Divorce/Separation does not qualify as a circumstance/situation allowing for the cash out of a 457(b) account. The Regs that you and Intruder refer to simply speak to the continued tax qualification of the Plan notwithstanding the fact that a distribution, that satisfies IRS guidelines, was made pursuant to a QDRO.

Joel