NJ25

Axa Equitable

ON average its about 20-25% when you take all indexes in consideration according to STANDARD AND POORS

EVEN IF ITS 30% THE QUESTION IS CAN THAT MANAGED FUND DO IT (BEAT THE INDEX LONG TERM) and the answer is usually no.

Also good luck finding that 20-30% year in and year out. WE have as many funds as there are people in Cleveland, Ohio.

I own 15 managed funds. My analysis over a twenty year period indicates only 4 has outperformed the index

after twenty years.

I don't want to believe it but most managed funds don't beat the index LONG TERM

It's a bit of a moot point, I understand. And I don't want to be in the position of defending actively managed funds in general on performance grounds. I just find a range of returns depending upon the particular benchmark used for comparison and time frame.

I took everyone's advice and am about to open a Roth IRA with Fidelity!!! How does everyone feel about their Freedom funds? Since my retirement is years out, I'm considering either the 2050 or 2045 funds...

Unforutnately, I just can't contribute enough to get me into the Spartan; even though I would very much like to get in. And Vanguard, they want 3 g's just to start up an account..... Hopefully somewhere down the line I'll be able to jump into both of these, but for now it seems like Fidelity is the way to go....

-s

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you might consider selecting some SRI funds. You may find details about some funds available at www.socialfunds.com or www.socialinvest.org. It will take a bit more work than just selecting a target date fund, but you can create a diversified portfolio within a Fidelity IRA account.

Also, if you are considering contributing more than $5,000 this year, you might contribute funds to a 2007 IRA up to your tax filing deadline.

Hey New jersey

Congratulations on a move in the right direction. You know had Fidelity Direct been available through your

403B the minimum would not count. Same with Vanguard.

Regardless you did your self right by staying away from the insurance pedaled stuff. Keep investing in your Roth and keep your eyes open for decent 403B opportunities that hopefully will come your way down the road

as things continue to evolve. Keep demanding better choices.

Tony

Thanks everyone.

This board has been a huge help. I learned a shitload of information that all educators should know before these insurance companies sink their teeth into them.

As for my Roth with Fidelity, I didn't go with the Freedom Fund as originally suggested. I went into a straight-up fund - no load, no fee.

Game on.

And a good time to get in with the market down. Keep putting that cash in there.AS you accumulate assetts

you will need to diversify your holdings, But, for now ,you are in a good position .

Wow! You seem to be putting alot of the blame on the axa rep. Your return is based on market performance. Your rep did you a favor by setting the plan up for you. If you aren't happy with the return, go into a fixed account, otherwise blame the economy, oil prices, the banks and the mortgage companies for that "pawtry" rate.

Wow! You seem to be putting alot of the blame on the axa rep. Your return is based on market performance. Your rep did you a favor by setting the plan up for you. If you aren't happy with the return, go into a fixed account, otherwise blame the economy, oil prices, the banks and the mortgage companies for that "pawtry" rate.

I don't the 1.9% was a result of the economy, bro. Sure the past 1 1/2 years have been tumultuous and inconsistent, at best, but the previous 3 1/2 years should have yielded significant returns.....much more significant than a paltry 1.9%. I don't really blame the rep - I blame the company, their hidden fees, and the fact that they rip off unsuspecting teachers who they claim to be helping. We're seen as nothing more than prey and it's pretty f'ed up.

This ad, identified earlier by Scotty, explains why so many of us are fed up with companies like AXA. It is for a different company, but the principle is the same:

Great American Annuity Advertisement

Look at the ad and ask yourself if an insurance agent's interests are truly aligned with the customer's.

Nolandis

You may have a point. But fees are an even more important part of the equation now. When the marketing is soaring its easy to say "Oh well. I made 20% so what the big deal if I am paying 2% or more for the priviledge".

But at the moment fees really really matter because they are eating into your principal because the market is down.

Also 1.9% over 5 years of investing? You can't tell me the fees didn't have something to do with that return

If I remember correctly the market has not been down the last few years but was way up!! Only since 2008 has the market been in a downspin.

None of us should blame the rep for market performance but you can blame the rep for

lack of knowledge

lack of disclosure on all fronts

lack of diversifying your account

lack of adequate follow through and contact with customer

lack of honesty