Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

Where Would You Invest Half Million?

I don't think I could give you any real good advice without a full diagnostic first. Basically a review of goals, total assets, current and future tax brackets.

While I am a big fan of TIPS, I'm not advising people to buy them right now, they just seemed overpriced - I could turn out to be wrong. I like TIPS better when their yields are in the 2%+ range - though that also depends on inflation expectations.

I would probably advise you to buy a variable annuity, specifically the NEA Valuebuilder - and be sure to elect as many of the guarantees as possible - remember, you are now a retired person with no ability to tolerate even a 1 penny loss to your principle - you must, I repeat must, have some form of insurance (you insure your house don't you).

Then I would put the rest of your money into Equity Indexed Annuities - the best one's have the highest surrender charges and the longest surrender periods!

After you do this all of your life's problems will be solved (as will global warming - because you won't check account balances as much and your carbon footprint will be less due to less electricity use).

Of course I am joking!

You have a number of serious decisions to make and luckily you've made the bad mistakes before, so you won't make them this time.

Muni's might make sense - especially now, but do the math and make sure. In addition, be aware of state specific risk and make a conscious decision as to whether you want a state-specific bond fund or a national one (which will not be state deductible).

As you know.....take your time!

ScottyD

sschullo,

Without knowing where you stand financially, knowing what to do with your money may be difficult.

Here are some questions I would ask:

-When do you need the money? What is your current savings?

-What is your tax rate?

-Your age-income,

-Risk tolerance.ex..are you willing to accept 20% return for a 15% downtown?

-Any children?

-Wills?

I would advise you to seek a prof. counsel..Not just an advisor who's going to put you in an annuity.

When an investor with substantial funds comes in and see me, I tell them to come in and let's just chat..

We talk about life, goals, and whatever comes to up. That way, I can find out if the investor is a good fit for me and if I'm a good fit for her/him.

And if all goes well, in our second meeeting we get down to business.

Lastly, make sure you check them out on FINRA.

Hope this helps...