Daisy

Over Contributed

Just found out that I over contributed to my 457b. The provider just now informed me of this over-sight and now it is April 16th. Notification was due by the 15th. Anyone know what the consequences are? It looks like I may be elgible for a catch-Up if I am within 3 years of "Normal Retirement Age". But what if my plans change and I decide I can not afford to retire?

Daisy,

Ask to see your employer's 457(b) Plan Document which will explain the workings of the 3-year-catch up rule.

Dan Otter

Guest Sierra

You misunderstand! One is not compelled to retire at the end of the third year.

Joel L. Frank

Pension Columnist

The Chief-Civil Service Leader

277 Broadway

New York, NY 10007

Just found out that I over contributed to my 457b. The provider just now informed me of this over-sight and now it is April 16th. Notification was due by the 15th. Anyone know what the consequences are? It looks like I may be elgible for a catch-Up if I am within 3 years of "Normal Retirement Age". But what if my plans change and I decide I can not afford to retire?

One should always take advantage of the three year catchup provision and effectuate it as early as possible ie withing 3 years of the NRA. By so doing you will gain the additional years of tax-deferred growth should you retire after your NRA ie age 70.

Peace and hope,

Joel L. Frank

Pension Columnist

The Chief-Civil Service Leader

277 Broadway

New York, NY 10007

Daisy:

Do you participate in a govt 457b or Non profit 457b plan?