Sign in to follow this  
klingel33

Metlife Or Fidelity

My district has officially decided to go from 16 403b companies from the '07-'08 school year to to 2 for this upcoming school year. We were told the news today. Overall I think this is good as maybe teachers will be looked out for more now as with less options I think the district or NEA may be able to look at the options with more of a close eye and make sure high cost bad options are not available. Although I have never vested in either of these companies and now have to open a new 403b I was kind of excited to hear the news as I think this will probably help to get rid of the lemons. I guess as we do not get that much information about these products which I think is very sad that the federal government knew they were not being watched as close as the 401k and basically that teachers were getting screwed. Sorry for the language but in truth that is from what I have gathered has been what has been happeing to us. Many disticts I have been told are doing the same thing by goverment mandate needing to get rid of so many options. Now for my question and I know this site is sponsored by Fidelity but I would really like some opinions of non-biased people of which would be the better choice for one to go with Metlife or Fidelity? Please if you know of the apples to apples of both companies spell it out as we have to make a decision by October 25th.

Klingel,

I don't know much about Met life but its an insurance company. Doesn't that tell you enough? Go Fidelity and hopefully its direct and not through an intermediary. If it is direct you will be able to access their spartan funds which have the industry's lowest expense ratios.

Tony

Klingel,

I don't know much about Met life but its an insurance company. Doesn't that tell you enough? Go Fidelity and hopefully its direct and not through an intermediary. If it is direct you will be able to access their spartan funds which have the industry's lowest expense ratios.

Tony

Fidelity Spartan funds have expense ratios of .10. This is even lower than Vanguard. I have had an excellent experience with Fidelity.

My district has officially decided to go from 16 403b companies from the '07-'08 school year to to 2 for this upcoming school year. We were told the news today. Overall I think this is good as maybe teachers will be looked out for more now as with less options I think the district or NEA may be able to look at the options with more of a close eye and make sure high cost bad options are not available. Although I have never vested in either of these companies and now have to open a new 403b I was kind of excited to hear the news as I think this will probably help to get rid of the lemons. I guess as we do not get that much information about these products which I think is very sad that the federal government knew they were not being watched as close as the 401k and basically that teachers were getting screwed. Sorry for the language but in truth that is from what I have gathered has been what has been happeing to us. Many disticts I have been told are doing the same thing by goverment mandate needing to get rid of so many options. Now for my question and I know this site is sponsored by Fidelity but I would really like some opinions of non-biased people of which would be the better choice for one to go with Metlife or Fidelity? Please if you know of the apples to apples of both companies spell it out as we have to make a decision by October 25th.

If that's all you got to choose from, shame on the ones who designed the plan. But of the two, go with Fidelity, which is a genuine, dedicated investment house, not an insurance company---as is MetLife. I have no stake in either of them. I'm not a teacher, either; I'm a Minister. My denomination's plan is "married" to Fidelity, but I'm "going solo:" I've created my own self-directed 403b. Fidelity is NOT among them. But our 403b choices are in fact becoming more limited, just because many investment houses are choosing not to bother with them at all. Good luck. ---"John Doe."