Sign in to follow this  
JMacDonald

The 403b Mess.

If you cant understand the investment strategy, material risks, taxation and fees/costs described in a prospectus in 10 -15 minutes you should not invest in the fund.

Oh is that right? or should it be the responsibility of the company to write it in plain English? The SEC is an idiot organization. They have done nothing to protect the investor. I think Obama should lump all these idiot government agencies together and call the them departments of idiocy.

You know that companies could simplify their prospectuses . I wonder why they don't. A complicated prospectus is one more way so many companies hide the facts they are most pertinent to the investor.

I maintain there should be a ONE PAGE-EASY TO UNDERSTAND summary of the company's, strategy. material risks, taxation, fees and costs-to use your words with a signature requirement from both parties

that the form was gone over in detail.

Intruder-I think you're a smart guy and your contributions are valuable but would you please show some sympathy for the investor please-at least ocassionally. To me you come across as always defending the status quo. We need change.

Tony

If you cant understand the investment strategy, material risks, taxation and fees/costs described in a prospectus in 10 -15 minutes you should not invest in the fund.

Oh is that right? or should it be the responsibility of the company to write it in plain English? The SEC is an idiot organization. They have done nothing to protect the investor. I think Obama should lump all these idiot government agencies together and call the them departments of idiocy.

You know that companies could simplify their prospectuses . I wonder why they don't. A complicated prospectus is one more way so many companies hide the facts they are most pertinent to the investor.

I maintain there should be a ONE PAGE-EASY TO UNDERSTAND summary of the company's, strategy. material risks, taxation, fees and costs-to use your words with a signature requirement from both parties

that the form was gone over in detail.

Intruder-I think you're a smart guy and your contributions are valuable but would you please show some sympathy for the investor please-at least ocassionally. To me you come across as always defending the status quo. We need change.

Tony

Tony:

Every critic of investing including those who you continually laud as savvy investors have made the same statement: never invest in any fund in which you dont understand the fund's strategy, risks, taxation and fees.

Just because you dont undertand the essential features in a prospectus such as investment strategy, risks, taxation and fees doesnt mean that other investors will not understand them. You can also check a description of the fund, fees and its performance record through Morningstar, Lipper or a similar service.

The SEC allows funds to offer a summary prospectus with simplified language. If you believe that a complicated prospectus provides a way for companies to hide pertinent facts then you should not invest in such funds. No one is forcing you to invest your money. Stick to funds with simple investment strategies such as funds that track an index and have low fees.