Sign in to follow this  
jarhead

Which Company To Rollover 403(b) Into?

My wife stopped contributing into AXA 403(b) and started contributing to New York state 457 plan instead. I want her to rollover the money currently in 403(b) (with an understanding that we'll have to pay the surrender charges and recover the loss by the time she retires). She was told that she cannot rollover into 457 plan and can only rollover into another 403(b) with a participating vendor. Out of the ones listed, I see only Fidelity and Oppenheimer as a decent choice. Which of the two companies is better?

But make sure it is Fidelity Direct rather than Fidelity Adviser.

What is the difference between Direct and Adviser and how do I know what they are offering?

If it's being offered by a salesperson (advisor or agent) then it is most likely the advisor product you are being offered. Advisor funds are also prety clearly marked. Look for "Fidelity Advisor" on any mutual fund you consider purchasing.

Fidelity Advisor funds are typically sold with "loads" aka sales charges attached.

Fidelity Advisor funds are typically sold with "loads" aka sales charges attached.

But... they may not have a sales load. Then the tip-off is that they have a 12b-1 fee, usually of .25%. Also, the Advisor funds tend to have expense fees up near 1%, not the .10% of the Spartan index funds through Fidelity Direct.