Sign in to follow this  
Dan Otter

New 403(b) Regs?

I have received emails from several folks recently mentioning that the IRS will be issuing updated 403(b) regs perhaps as early as next month. Does anyone else have an information on this subject? Thanks.

Dan Otter

I'm also hoping to lose 10 pounds by then. Gotta have dreams.

This is a "friend of a friend of a friend" thing...hence my reluctance to vouch for it too hard. But she seemed very convinced about it. She might have a friend who works for the IRS? I'll check.

Keep in mind that the new regs will be PROPOSED regulations. Usually the IRS allows people to rely on proposed regulations before they are finalized (which is a good thing, since there are cases where proposed regs were never finalized at all, but just left hanging out there).

The IRS strongly encourages comments from the public, so if any of you have any desire to influence them, this will be your chance. Typically, changes do occur between proposed and final regulations, usually based on comments received from the outside world, so there is both a real opportunity (to let the IRS listen to YOU) and also some risk of making decisions based on proposed regulations that may change when put in final form.