Sign in to follow this  
robbyot

Investments In Individual Stocks And Not Mutuals?

In a 457, am I permitted to pick the stocks I want to be invested in or do I have to buy into those poor performing mutual funds?

Thanks for the help.

Rob O'Toole

Hi Rob,

It's my undestanding that you can invest in individual stocks in your 457 plan, but that it is rare to have this option. Check with your plan administrator for your exact investment options. This information should be spelled out in the plan document.

Dan Otter

Guest Erik

Rob,

It depends on your plan provider. SOme plans provide self-directed brokerage options some don't. Call your administrator (though if they did you would probably already know). Of course the "poor performing" mutual funds are a result of poorly performing stocks, so unless you have some keen insite of stock picking it really makes no difference. If you do have that insite, quit your job and become a stock trader. In a few short years you'll be a millionaire and you can go back to teaching or whatever you are doing now.