Sign in to follow this  
finadvnj

Mid Cap Stocks Outperform 1979-09/30/09

Mid Cap Stocks Outperform Large Cap Stocks, Smid Cap Stocks and Small Cap Stocks 1979-09/30/09

See (best viewed in Full Screen Mode):

Regards,

Aaron Skloff, AIF, CFA, MBA

CEO - Skloff Financial Group

Mid Cap Stocks Outperform Large Cap Stocks, Smid Cap Stocks and Small Cap Stocks 1979-09/30/09

Regards,

Phone: 908-464-3060

www.skloff.com

403(b) LinkedIn Group Manager

I fail to understand your point. Other than to advertise.

Mid cap asset class using indexes with Vanguard, TIAA CREF, Fidelity or TR Price should be a core holding for all investors' portfolios.

Its not AT ALL about past performances and which managed fund or index beats another, its about reducing risk and costs and increasing returns (6-10%) with a diversified portfolio that includes bonds. Bonds are great, they increase returns while reducing risk, from William Bernstein in the Intelligent Asset Allocator. Read it sometime. Its good.

Steve

Regards,

Mid caps indexes with Vanguard, TIAA CREF, Fidelity or TR Price should be a core holding for all investors. Its not about past performances and which managed fund or index beats another, its about reducing risk and costs and increasing returns (6-10%).

The point is to educate investors, as many have little to no Mid Cap exposure even though it may be appropriate for them.

Regards,

Mid caps indexes with Vanguard, TIAA CREF, Fidelity or TR Price should be a core holding for all investors. Its not about past performances and which managed fund or index beats another, its about reducing risk and costs and increasing returns (6-10%).

The point is to educate investors, as many have little to no Mid Cap exposure even though it may be appropriate for them.

Talking about outperformance of a particular fund is NOT education. This is showing people a part of investing that has done well over the years. Whether your post intended this or not, it leaves the impression that I better get in this asset class since its done so well in the past. Its not the entire picture. What about the other asset classes?

An easy approach to including small and midcap stocks is to simply invest in the total stock market portfolio from any number of low cost index funds.

Some might argue that TSM does not provide enough exposure to these asset classes; for those folks, they can invest in index funds that mimic the large, mid, and small cap stocks. For example, one could invest in both the Fidelity Spartan Index 500 and the Fidelity Spartan Extended Market funds. Although these funds require large minimum investments for regular accounts, they typically require no initial investment at all with 403b plans.

Aaron,

You are correct that mid caps have outperformed. Its also true if my memory serves me correctly that a mid -cap index fund outperms over 80% of this category's managed funds so none of us here need your services.

I kind of find it tacky that you post your picture and profile on this site. Dan you should remove this.

I kind of find it tacky that you post your picture and profile on this site. Dan you should remove this.

Tony,

At the bottom of Aaron's post, just push the "Report" button and your message will go directly to Dan. I have already done this.

have a good day,

Steve

Funny, how most readers of this post have watched the link.

If the headline were enough, they would simply avoid reading the post and would certainly avoid watching the link.

To the contrary, they take both steps.

Each reader should determine if this information is useful for their own purposes.

Regards,

Done !!!

Tony,

At the bottom of Aaron's post, just push the "Report" button and your message will go directly to Dan. I have already done this.

have a good day,

Steve

Funny, how most readers of this post have watched the link.

If the headline were enough, they would simply avoid reading the post and would certainly avoid watching the link.

To the contrary, they take both steps.

Each reader should determine if this information is useful for their own purposes.

Regards,

We often hear from the pros how much hand holding teachers need to simply start and keep their retirement planning on track. We, on the other hand, often preach that teachers are perfectly capable with some effort to take control of their retirement planning themselves. Its far less costly and most of the time, self directed investors do just as good or better than the advisers.

For those teachers who need hand holding, they could not determine the usefulness of your post and for those who know how to manage their financies, your post is useless.

If you really want to educate people, you would help them see how mid caps are an important asset in their overall portfolio.

Why not start a topic on bonds and how it is used in portfolios or about risk. Risk is a very important concept.

Hi,

Anyone who has read the Vanguard Diehard Forum on M* and now the Bogleheads Forum knows that Mel has recommended MidCaps for years as part of one's portfolio. This guy is a bit late to the party. The only point I can see for this post is to advertise his business.

Joe

Joe,

Mel also recommended iBonds since their introduction in the late 1990s. As with Boglehead strategy, investors need a diversified portfolio that includes all the asset classes.

Have a great day,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yea, that was good information from Mel about the I Bonds. I bought a bunch of them at the time. I recently cashed them in. They were a good place for me to hold cash until now.

Best Wishes,

Joe

Joe,

I have some in iBonds too. Right now the yield is 0%. Probably a good thing because if the feds had to pay the usual historical interest rate, the deficit would be much higher. But as an investment, its only insurance for inflation, but the "premiums" are sky high.

What a strange investing atmosphere. Bonds stink and the stock market is riding on thin air. There is nowhere to hide except to stick with a plan.

The next fed auction on iBonds is this spring. I might look into buying more.

Steve