10 members have voted

1. 1. Why don't you post?

• My financial situation is personal
    • I am only here to learn
    • This site is biased towards passive investing strategy
    • Too much technical and legal jargon
    • The mean spirited discussions turns me off
    • Other

Update: On my other discussion thread when Tony asked for 2014 returns, and only four of us posted our portfolio returns, I was thinking about this poll I created five years ago. I asked why you do not post and several possible answers.

For those that do not post, can you answer the poll please? The 403b is one of the most secretive plans around and as long as we educators do not talk to each other about it, the powers to be whether they be the insurance companies, their agents, broker/dealers and the some of the teachers unions will laugh all the way to the bank.

Lets us know why you don't post so we can begin a discussion with as many educators as possible. Secrecy keeps the powers-to-be status-quo going. We can break it in a minute by open and candid discussion of low cost, fiduciary vendors such as TIAA CREF and Vanguard and the price our colleagues pay in annuities and loaded/broker dealer costs from many mutual fund companies and third party administrators. Full transparency breaks it wide open and that is good for everybody!

Lets discuss how we can demand transparency from the secretive 403(b) world.

Please answer the poll question so we can adjust our discussions to meet your concerns.

Have a great weekend,

Steve

Guest adirondacks

Posting one's returns has nothing to do with fighting for no-load funds. We should not confuse the two.

Moreover, the fight for no-loads impacts all investors. Let's not limit this discussion to "educators".

If we don't get higher returns with less risk than annuities and loaded mutual funds, what is the point?

This poll is asking people why they don't post, is not just limited to returns and its not just about educators.

Having said that, secrecy, the lack of discussion among us educators created the mess we are in.

Guest adirondacks

Steve,

You call people who choose not to share their investment strategy "lurkers"----what about the thousands of viewers to this website that have never posted up on any topic whatsoever---are they also "lurkers"?

Joel

Why all of these questions and lectures about what I or anybody else posts here? You know as well as I that the word "lurkers" has been used 20 years on internet forums. Nothing offensive. I am happy they found this forum and got the information they need and left. I also am wondering why they are reluctant to post. I hear that Dan goes emails most days from people with their 403(b) questions. I suspect people only want to take care of their 403(b) and go about their business. That's fine! I also want to encourage those people to share what they know and that this is a safe environment. I suspect that people do not feel its a safe environment, otherwise they might share. Thats is the reason why I asked those questions. I find it fascinating that only a few people answered those questions. Obviously, something uncomfortable is going on that they will not even answer the poll!

We all know you are not going to share anything about your portfolio, and I respect that. I am not talking about you Joel.

The 403(b) has been in the closet for 54 years and we need to speak up about it so that we all can get what we have been demanding for years, low cost options with no load mutual funds. Is that asking too much?

A lurker is someone who does not participate on discussion boards. Lurker is an accepted technology phrase. We have more lurkers than participants on this discussion board. Steve is trying to encourage more participation.

Adirondacks -In my opinion you are starting to go back to your old self , looking for trouble, constantly questioning things that don't need to be questioned. If you can't make a positive contribution to discussions than you should just leave the site. Your are intentionally sending subtle and not so subtle jabs Steve's way.

Guest adirondacks

Tony,

I don't know of a single discussion board that has a waiting line for posters to post-up. Do you?

Tony, with all due respect, Steve is a big boy and is quite capable of speaking for himself.

That said, did you not tell us that you had a "bad day" on another thread and apologized for your "remarks" directed at me? It looks like that apology was quite insincere.

By the way Tony, come, see and stay in beautiful Adirondack Park located in beautiful upstate New York.

Best,

Joel Adirondacks Frank

I notice of the 8 people who responded, two checked the "mean spirited" discussions as reasons for lurking only and 4 said they were here to "learn only."

Tony, thank you for encouraging people to stop lurking and get involved. Silence keeps the status quo 403(b) system going.

Hello. I have posted more in the past than recently. Much to do with my time. This site should be viewed by anyone who has a 403b or a 457b. Great place to learn. Ask questions so you can expand your understanding. This is always, in my opinion, better than going to an "advisor" who looks for the commision products to help HIM out.

Come, read, ask, learn, be a better investor for your future well-being. This site has much to offer.

In my opinion--this site helped me develop my opinion over the past 10 years or so--keep costs low, make the 1(800) phone calls yourself, come here to read and learn FOR FREE, expand your horizons, and save big for your benefit.

Edd/Edy