Admin

How Have New Regs Affected Your 403(b) Plan?

Barney

Maybe I'm totally off base but Sean was probably here to advertise.

Does that mean he can't participate in the conversation? For better or worse, companies like this are a part of the 403b market. If they make stupid comments, pick them apart. But maybe they should be given the opportunity to make the stupid comments before running them off. Just my thoughts - maybe I've misunderstood what you meant.

Is it fair to generalize the comments from this thread as follows: Regs have been good for the IRS (more compliance), good for the large entrenched 403(b) financial firms (less competition), and not so good for the participants (less low cost choice). I am not saying this is indeed the case nationally, just what can be gleamed from these postings.

Dan Otter

Barney

You have a point but when someone engages in a conversation with us and is selling product one must be careful. He could have just signed in as Sean. He didn't have to mention who he works with. There has been so much misinformation given us over the years that some of us are rather cynical of anything they have to say because it usually conflicts with the facts. Just maybe he was sincere. Maybe not.

I just happened to have fox business on a few hours ago and an advisor of a major financial company came on and was asked what his take was on the economy. In his statement he said to stay away from index funds if you wanted to make money in this market. That was pure crap. My index funds are doing well.

He was there to push his products.

Barney

Maybe I'm totally off base but Sean was probably here to advertise.

Does that mean he can't participate in the conversation? For better or worse, companies like this are a part of the 403b market. If they make stupid comments, pick them apart. But maybe they should be given the opportunity to make the stupid comments before running them off. Just my thoughts - maybe I've misunderstood what you meant.