Sign in to follow this  
apteacher

Question For The Board

Are there any other idiots like me out there who continue to maximize their 403b plans, contribute to an IRA, invest in a broad mix of no load index funds that are appropriate for one's level of risk, and dollar-cost average through thick and thin?

Or is it just me who went to Jonestown and drank the Kool Aid for the past ten years?

AP

We've all been idiots. But unless you want to put your money in a mattress I don't know what the answer is. John Bogle is an old man now. I have to wonder sometimes if he is just repeating the mantras of the past. At least you are in low cost investments. Had you been otherwise you would even show worst performance.

The only way out of this is economic rebirth and growth and it must come now from the private sector.

I'm optimistic. Don't give up the ship yet but our leaders must step up which they are not doing. They must make tough decisions

Tony

Hey AP,

Wondering why you have not posted for awhile. Welcome back.

Yea as Tony said we are all idiots. But that an oversimplification. I hope you have not taken the bitter pill over this.

One thing I have learned is never expect much of anything from the financial markets and that has served me well. I concentrated on what I CAN DO. Continue to learn, keep saving through thick or thin, especially during good times.

Interesting, that the private sector had it all until 2008, the power, deregulation with Greenspan, the money and political influence in DC since the early 1980s, and they controlled the public debate that less government is better. Well, they blew it and took everybody with them. If there is a reason to never trust Wall Street, it is now. 2008 changed everything, just as 9/11. How can somebody with another opinion about the implications of deregulation and the entire risk taken by the Wall Street pigs argue or warn about nothing. But Bogle did with is 2006 Soul of Capitalism. He spelled it all out how individual companies manipulate their earnings report, take control from the shareholders and steal of the company’s money for their own pockets.

I was extremely lucky this last time because I was old enough to have a lot of my money in bonds. I never predicted the crash. I was lucky enough to have a plan where I did not get all of the gains during the 2003-2007 bull market because of my bond exposure, but I was able to keep what gains I did have.

Steve

Hey AP,

Yea as Tony said we are all idiots. But that an oversimplification. I hope you have not taken the bitter pill over this.

One thing I have learned is never expect much of anything from the financial markets and that has served me well. I concentrated on what I CAN DO. Continue to learn, keep saving through thick or thin, especially during good times.

Interesting, that the private sector had it all until 2008, the power, deregulation with Greenspan, the money and political influence in DC since the early 1980s, and they controlled the public debate that less government is better. Well, they blew it and took everybody with them. If there is a reason to never trust Wall Street, it is now. 2008 changed everything, just as 9/11. How can somebody with another opinion about the implications of deregulation and the entire risk taken by the Wall Street pigs argue or warn about nothing. But Bogle did with is 2006 Soul of Capitalism. He spelled it all out how individual companies manipulate their earnings report, take control from the shareholders and steal of the company’s money for their own pockets.

I was extremely lucky this last time because I was old enough to have a lot of my money in bonds. I never predicted the crash. I was lucky enough to have a plan where I did not get all of the gains during the 2003-2007 bull market because of my bond exposure, but I was able to keep what gains I did have.

Steve

Steve,

As my posts indicate, yes, I am pretty bitter. I have developed a pretty conservative portfolio allocation (40-60), and yet the hammer continues to fall. I think that the bitterness goes beyond investing, though. I feel as if I'm getting the double whammy: declining markets and increasing responsibility for the well-being of others. But that's getting into the political realm, and I don't think I'll go there on this forum.

Hey AP,

Steve

Steve,

As my posts indicate, yes, I am pretty bitter. I have developed a pretty conservative portfolio allocation (40-60), and yet the hammer continues to fall. I think that the bitterness goes beyond investing, though. I feel as if I'm getting the double whammy: declining markets and increasing responsibility for the well-being of others. But that's getting into the political realm, and I don't think I'll go there on this forum.

AP,

I am very sorry that you are not just bitter but "pretty" bitter. I am confident when we get through this mess, you will feel better. I know this as I went through this too. I rarely think about all of the money my companion and I lost during the tech crash. But, it was terrible going through it, but now, heck we made up for it taking advantage of the next bubble, the real estate bubble by selling our assets and moving. Still, it took a long time to get through all of that pain in 2000-2002 and I was fighting cancer too. I took on another p/t job working at UCLA extensions, got my adminstrative credential and accepted out of the classroom positions to boost my income. It was the roughest time of my life. Always look at what you can do. The markets will recover. We don't know when. Still, it came roaring back from near apolyptic levels in March 2009! Of course its not back to where it was in 2007. The market did the same thing in 2003. You are absolutely right about discussing politics. Politics and the market are forever unpredictable and should never be used as a basis for planning.

Still, you can post all of the politics you want on this website, in case you have not already been aware of: click here I notice that one of the topics was "No tax cuts for the wealthy" kind of relates to your "increasing responsibility for the well being of others" comment.

Take care,

Steve