Sign in to follow this  
tony

The Happiest Places On Earth Are Heaviiy Tax

Makes sense. I think people would be a lot less stressed out/murderous/road rage-y/addicted to alcohol and ###### if there was a social compact that guaranteed you wouldn't fall through the cracks so long as you made the effort to obey the law, work and pay your taxes.

My step-mom's 90-something grandmother lived in and eventually died in a bright and cheerful retirement home in Canada with a full staff of doctors and nurses and activities for the residents to do at no out of pocket cost to anyone in her family. It felt quite civilized compared to the way we do things in the US.

Alan Greenspan admitted that the major problem with the free market system was unemployment. The system works great with highly trained and elite workers, but not the average Joe. Even phds are out of work, so an education by itself is not near enough. It gets your foot in the door, but there are dozens of better qualified people there for the same one opening. Its terrible. If anybody has experienced unemployment, you know what I am talking about, it is a dreadful experience. Societies and government have to step in and help with retraining and opening up new industries, such as green energy, otherwise, all of us are going to have problems, with little or no growth, crime, poverty, homelessness.

Steve

If this doesn't get AP teacher back on this discussion board nothing will. I think this article makes some valid points.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-happiest-places-on-earth-are-heavily-taxed?fg

OK, Tony, you got me!

The author falls prey to the cause and effect fallacy. It's not at all clear that high taxes are what make people in these countries happy. There are all sorts of cultural explanations that help to explain the happiness in these countries, which are very, very different than the US.

Happy New Year, Tony. I wish you and everyone else a prosperous 2011.

If this doesn't get AP teacher back on this discussion board nothing will. I think this article makes some valid points.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-happiest-places-on-earth-are-heavily-taxed?fg

OK, Tony, you got me!

The author falls prey to the cause and effect fallacy. It's not at all clear that high taxes are what make people in these countries happy. There are all sorts of cultural explanations that help to explain the happiness in these countries, which are very, very different than the US.

Happy New Year, Tony. I wish you and everyone else a prosperous 2011.

Hi AP,

And Happy new year to you too. Looking forward to your portfolio performance for 2010. I will have mine on the thread that DK started.

Steve