Steven 12

Fidelity 403(B)

Please let me know the best funds to invest with in fidelity. I was in Horace Mann variable annuity with high fees and want to start all over with fidelity and try to get a better return. Is there a particular fund or funds which is better with lower fees?

Please let me know the best funds to invest with in fidelity. I was in Horace Mann variable annuity with high fees and want to start all over with fidelity and try to get a better return. Is there a particular fund or funds which is better with lower fees?

Fidelity's Spartan funds are among the lowest around. Fidelity just added its former US Bond Index fund to the Spartan lineup, and reduced the expense ratio to .22.

Fidelity's Spartan funds are among the lowest around. Fidelity just added its former US Bond Index fund to the Spartan lineup, and reduced the expense ratio to .22.

Does it make great sense to leave Horace Mann variable annuity with 1.25% mortality fee and go with Fidelity mutual funds?

Does it make great sense to leave Horace Mann variable annuity with 1.25% mortality fee and go with Fidelity mutual funds?

No, it doesn't make great sense to leave your money in a variable annuity. Its not just the 1.25% mortality but all of the other fees and restrictions. You can never get the market averages and your money is illiquid. If you are young, take it out pay the surrender fees and go with a mutual fund company. I had two annuities and I paid a lot in surrender fees but made it up over the years with a real investment. But if you are near retirement, leave it. You don't have time to make up for the surrender fees.

Steve

so why does Horace Mann sell these variable annuities to teachers in there 40's?

My linkclick here

so why does Horace Mann sell these variable annuities to teachers in there 40's?

Not just Horace Mann. Teachers are about the only group of professionals left that the annuity industry can take advantage. No other group will tolerate these kinds of high priced plans, nurses, professors, MDs, city, state, federal and law enforcement. All have better plans than teachers. Why? It boils down to culture of K12 school district that have no oversight from the district, the union or the regulators who oversee these plans. From 1960 to 1998, nobody said anything to stand up against this practice. I can speak for California. Here not one district administrator, not one union leader, not one reporter said anything about this practice until 1998 when Kathy Kristof of the LA Times wrote about yours truly effort when I tried to get Vanguard on my district list of available choices. From that time until now there have been numerous reports from teachers all asking the same question as you and reporting horror story after horror story about annuities in 403b plans. In the last 13 years, not much as changed, in fact, the very lastest report published last month, our California Teachers Association wants to keep the status quo in place! Unfortunately, the unions are absolutely useless, we have all kinds of reasons to wonder about their reasons, they are very secrete because the members simply do not complain. Bottom line is that there are not enough people like yourself that will call or write your union, district office, board members to demand better 403b choices.

I have been posting here since 2001 and about 15-20 teachers have asked the same question you have asked. There should be 15-20 teachers per day complaining and then something would happen to change this sorry situation.

Here is a link to the biggest story about this problem that was published in the front page of the LA Times: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr/25/business/fi-retire25

My linkclick here

Not just Horace Mann. Teachers are about the only group of professionals left that the annuity industry can take advantage. No other group will tolerate these kinds of high priced plans, nurses, professors, MDs, city, state, federal and law enforcement. All have better plans than teachers. Why? It boils down to culture of K12 school district that have no oversight from the district, the union or the regulators who oversee these plans. From 1960 to 1998, nobody said anything to stand up against this practice. I can speak for California. Here not one district administrator, not one union leader, not one reporter said anything about this practice until 1998 when Kathy Kristof of the LA Times wrote about yours truly effort when I tried to get Vanguard on my district list of available choices. From that time until now there have been numerous reports from teachers all asking the same question as you and reporting horror story after horror story about annuities in 403b plans. In the last 13 years, not much as changed, in fact, the very lastest report published last month, our California Teachers Association wants to keep the status quo in place! Unfortunately, the unions are absolutely useless, we have all kinds of reasons to wonder about their reasons, they are very secrete because the members simply do not complain. Bottom line is that there are not enough people like yourself that will call or write your union, district office, board members to demand better 403b choices.

I have been posting here since 2001 and about 15-20 teachers have asked the same question you have asked. There should be 15-20 teachers per day complaining and then something would happen to change this sorry situation.

Here is a link to the biggest story about this problem that was published in the front page of the LA Times: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr/25/business/fi-retire25

To make money.