Sign in to follow this  
Merv

403B Rollover To Ira

I've trying to find out if you can rollover a 403b to a regular IRA if you are not leaving your present employer. Does anyone here know?

I'm not an expert on this--somebody please correct me if I've got this wrong--but I'm pretty sure that you cannot roll out to an IRA while you're still with the employer where you started the 403b. You can, however, roll funds between the 403b providers that are currently in your employer's plan.

Correct. You must be seperated from service from your current employer or be of retirement age 59 years old or older. Some one correct me too if i am wrong as I am not an expert either.

Tony

Guest Joel L. Frank

Correct. You must be seperated from service from your current employer or be of retirement age 59 years old or older. Some one correct me too if i am wrong as I am not an expert either.

Tony

Tony,

You can add death and disability, two most unappealing circumstances, to your list of triggering events.

Joel

Tony

Tony,

You can add death and disability, two most unappealing circumstances, to your list of triggering events.

Joel

So you have to separate, die, or be disabled. Those may be easier to do than convince my employer to add Vanguard.

Tony

Tony,

Joel

So you have to separate, die, or be disabled. Those may be easier to do than convince my employer to add Vanguard.

Funny but true. K-12 benefit administrators are some of the most rigid, paranoid, condescending bureaucrats known to Western Civilization. But they will all change in a minute if more of our colleagues demanded Vanguard.

Tony

Tony,

Joel

Funny but true. K-12 benefit administrators are some of the most rigid, paranoid, condescending bureaucrats known to Western Civilization. But they will all change in a minute if more of our colleagues demanded Vanguard.

Our district guy tells me that Vanguard doesn't comply with one of the board rules regarding 403b's, and until they do comply they can't be considered as a provider. So the whole thing gets held up by a trivial rule that he probably had a hand in writing himself. It's easier to say no than tweak a rule.

Tony

Tony,

Joel

Our district guy tells me that Vanguard doesn't comply with one of the board rules regarding 403b's, and until they do comply they can't be considered as a provider. So the whole thing gets held up by a trivial rule that he probably had a hand in writing himself. It's easier to say no than tweak a rule.

That kind of crap has been going on for decades now (I am that old! :-)). Of course it's easy to say no to one perhaps 2 or 3 educators who ask for Vanguard once in their careers. It's sad that so many educators know so little about this great company, its founder and philosophy, and the passive strategy. Billions of dollars are spent on excess fees to insurance company 403bs. And few talk about this.