Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

2011 Returns To Compare With 2012

I looked up the returns that people shared from 2011. Recall, 2011, the S&P was flat and the international markets took a big hit.

Here are the returns for 2011:

Steve: 2.7% same allocation as this year. 30/70

Tony: 0.0% I believe the same allocation. 65/35

Dan O: -.37, target retirement fund

DK: -6.5, Dk is still in his 20s and taking more risk, good for him!

Kat: between 2 and 3 % return

And CalSTRS, our pension plan calendar year return for 2011: 2.3%

Please share your return for 2012 click here

I went back and found that I was -8.5% in 2011.

I am also from the younger crowd and fine with that but one thing that does throw this off is that the amounts I add annually to account are large in comparison to the account so that has more ability to skew it.

I went back and found that I was -8.5% in 2011.

I am also from the younger crowd and fine with that but one thing that does throw this off is that the amounts I add annually to account are large in comparison to the account so that has more ability to skew it.

Have to subtract the contributions. Thats what the beardstone ladies did to make their outrageous claims of 20+% per year rather than the 9% they actually returned: http://www.erictyson...cles/20090306_1

In my situation as retired, distributions have to be put back in. Distributions are not stock market loses and contributions are NOT stock market gains.

Totally get that point. What I get is a time weighted return that weights the contributions. The portfolio I am in did about 19.5% for the year but I started the year with about 105k and added about 15k during the year to end up at nearly 140k.

2011 : -3.8%

2012: 13.6%

I paid toward a loan in 2012 and I don't know how this was accounted for in the calculation. It can't have accounted for much since interest rate is extremely low.

bigred,

Is there an excel program that does this? Or do you calculate a return by quarter or month? I found it easier to do this once a year.

It is generated by a software that weights the cashflows. Needless to say I don't calc it myself, I just read the #.