Sign in to follow this  
gtag

403 B Option American Funds Through Horace Mann Or Vanguard

Tony,

I understand what you are saying about the average teacher, it makes sense. I think we all have made investing mistakes. I probably still do, but i want to learn from them. I will start looking through those posts from the people you have mentioned to learn more. I have been on the Bogleheads website the last couple of days. It has given me some good insight. I will have to look into Dan Otter's book. It has been a good experience searching and joining this site so far, as well as, the information I have learned from your replies. Thanks again.

Have a great Easter as well,

Greg

Tony,

I got off the phone with VG a little while ago and talked to their Concierge Dept and they told me that our treasurer just neede to contact them to tell them we are interested to get them as a vendor and fill out the paperwork to send in to them. It seemed like we can get them as a direct vendor without any stipulations. I am cautiously optimistic. So, I will let everyone know when I find out.

Greg

We got VG without any stipulations and it has worked so far. Except for not getting admiral shares, we get those great non-insurance rates with no surrender fees. The only other negative I saw was we can't get those fixed 3.00 percent fixed rates. But if you really want that, use one of the insurance companies your school offers.

Greenwich3

This keeps encouraging me that will be able to get them as long as the stipulations on our end is met. Just curious, are you not able to get Admiral shares because they do not offer them in 403bs or is it because the individuals in the plan do not meet the minimum requirement for admiral shares? Also, I believe you are not able to purchase ETFs in the 403b, correct?

Thanks for information! I will keep everyone updated.

Greg

I think we can buy EFTs. I asked about admiral shares and they said they don't offer them to us. Not sure if it is an agreement in the contract with our employer or that they just don't offer it in any 403b.

Thank you. If we are approved, I will ask VG about both to make sure it applies to our situation. I will keep everyone informed. Thanks again.

Greg

Hello everyone,

I emailed my treasurer VG's information last night. I have not heard anything today. As soon as I find out, I will let everyone know.

Greg

Hello everyone,

I have an update on my 403b option. I found out last night on the bogglehead website from a fellow poster that Ohio public employees are able to enter into the Ohio Deferred Benefit program. It offers a 457b with extremely good mutual fund choices like VG, Fidelity, Dodge & Cox to name a couple of companies there are no additional fees other than the fund's MER, which every offering is below 1%. Therefore, because I am a Ohio public employee, I am eligible to enroll in the program thus I contacted the company to send the paperwork to our school district. So, I will not be pursuing VG in light of this new information. I just wish somehow I would have known this years ago, since it has been available since 1976. I will keep everyone updated once this actually occurs.

Guest Joel L Frank

Maybe if a single state agency administered the pension plan and the 457(b) plan rookies, from day one, would know that the 457(b) plan is available.