Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

How Is Everybody Holding Up?

I am still up three quarters of one percent. How I don't Know.Things have stalled though. I am now DCA 50% into international index fund and 50% into a money market. This might be the time to prepare for bad times should they happen by taking on less risk. The experts don't know what will cause the next crisis. Chances are we will all be surprised. I am not going to lose any sleep over it. What goes up must come down and visa versa. Overall not making any changes to portfolio but with new money I am preparing for a buying opportunity should one occur.

Dow, S&P 500, and NASDAQ all down more than 3% today. I knew we were due for a correction. Time to take advantage of people being fearful by being greedy. Time to put money in and buy.

Oh yeah. Agree with you there. I don't mean to buy all right now but over a period of time. With all that is happening in the world today, I don't think it's over yet. We'll see more declines. But than again, I can't see into the future. But I do know, when the market goes down, I get a chance to buy more shares vs buying less shares when prices are higher. As for the money I currently have in my portfolio, it'll still stay there and not move around. I don't believe in panic selling because that'll just back fire on you. Well, just my thought.

Hello. I have not been on in a while. I really do not know what my YTD is, as I am in several mutual funds and actively contributing--Fidelity, CalStrsPension2 with some still in TRP, Vanguard, and TiaaCrf. Just haven't moved it and most is way over in stock very light in bonds. As always, tout the no loads/lowest fees, no annuities. I have read of the impending correction, etc. and ignore it. I am heavy stock, light on bonds, again, not fully following it. I know I should have more bonds given my age, but I, like Steve, weathered the two big drops, and will survive this correction, or recession if it turns to that.

In short, I am not panicking or changing my plan. Eventually, I will shift to more bonds as my age increases and move closer to retirement. I am off, by recommended standards, but am DCA and will continue. No great worries--it will come back and as always long term, will go up.

Edd

Update

With all of the talk about China, interest rate hikes, jobs report, oil prices, etc, this equity market has been up and down, mostly down for the last couple of weeks. It's short term and noisy. The bond market has been slightly up, despite all of the talk about increasing interest rates. All of our bonds are up, YTD (see below).

Are you ignoring the noise? Or making changes? I checked my stock bond split and it has not changed enough to rebalance.

My portfolio is down -2.3% YTD. Calculated our return by this simple formula: year-to-date-value minus beginning-of-the-year-value divided by the beginning-of-year-value. (Take out contributions and put back distributions to isolate the stock and bond market return. Contributions are mistaken for higher returns (the famous Beardstown Ladies made that mistake and their reputation was condemned and the book publisher sued) and distributions are mistaken for market loses). Bogleheads wiki has an excel program that will include monthly contributions and distributions for those who want a precise YTD return.

Market close September 4, 2015

Dow -272.4 16,102.4
Nasdaq -49.6 4,683.9
S&P` -29.9 1,921.2

Name, Total Return YTD on a 35% equity and 65% fixed portfolio. The surprising result is Vanguard's Explorer with a 3.22% return YTD.

1. Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US Index: -6.92
  2. Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF: -5.03
  3. Vanguard Wellington: -4.03
  4. Vanguard Extended Market Idx: -3.37
  5. Vanguard Wellesley® Income: -2.03
  6. Vanguard Prime Money Market: 0.01
  7. Vanguard Total Intl Bd Idx: 0.42
  8. Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm: 0.76
  9. Vanguard GNMA: 1.1
  10. Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index: 0 1.3
  11. Vanguard Interm-Term Invmt-Grade: 1.34
  12. Vanguard Interm-Term Treasury Adm: 2.11
  13. Vanguard International Explorer: 3.22

I am down only- 3.5%. Thanks to you Steve and your diligent reminders and instruction on holding bonds. I also have a good chunk of change sitting in a money market because my wife retired and all her transfers to Vanguard occured a week before things went south. That bit of luck plus a good bit of bond holdings kept me in good shape.

I am expecting things to calm down and stabilize by October-just a gut feeling. This won't be the big one like we all feared. If it was the devastation would have been much worse and quicker.

I would like to thank all of you who panicked and sold your holdings by giving me some decent buying opportunities

Thanks

Tony

I would like to thank all of you who panicked and sold your holdings by giving me some decent buying opportunities.

Thanks

Tony

Naw...nobody who follows this forum panicked and sold out. :-)

I did the opposite. I actually put money into my IRA. I will be buying for the next couple of weeks until I hit my maximum contribution for the year. Happy buying everyone!