Sign in to follow this  
tony

How I Retired At 33

Interesting. If you can manage to live on 50% of your income though I think it is doable. Sounds like they've got enough to live on for a while as well.

It is really fascinating to see these families succeed. If you noticed in the Jacobson example, it looks like a blog income exists. The most interesting part (for me) is seeing the conviction of the families going after what they really want and knowing their core values well.

My late spouse and I lived a good life by spending on things for comfort and going on overseas trips during our working years. While we retired at the early/normal age of around 60, we saved a substantial amount of money even after losing most of it during the tech bubble crash. People spend too much, on new cars, fancy clothes, every expensive thing for their precious little ones, buy huge homes and believe it or not, paying way too much for investment advice. When the money is rolling in these spend thrift families spend it. So when a family saves up over a million by age 33, we are shocked!

Of course it can be done. But it is usually the very opposite, people cannot retire AT ANY AGE because they spent all of their earnings! There are many reports on spending habits of Americans. Every year since 1951 to 2015, 7.2 million new cars are bought: http://www.statista.com/statistics/199974/us-car-sales-since-1951/ . Can you imagine the trillions of LOST retirement savings buying this ludicrous and expensive toy every 3-4 years. And that is just cars, what about those huge homes and all of the expenses.

People can live comfortably on a whole lot less than we think. Unfortunately, many people think these frugal beings must be hiding something.

Steve