Sign in to follow this  
njquestions

New Member / New Parent Needs 403B Advice

Dave-We love you!!

You know what I meant !!!! You are a good person with a sense of ethics. The problem is so many so-called financial advisors are anything but. Most teachers will more likely to run into a shark than a person like you. Thats all I meant. I would highly recommend Dave Grant. NJ why not talk to Dave by phone?

Also I feel folks need to learn a little on their own so they can ascertain whether the advice they are getting makes sense. Too often we put our blind faith in experts and they take advantage.

Tony

Hi nj,

As the others have said, congrats for finding us early in your career and getting yourself straightened out.

I paid $6000 in surrender fees 20 years ago for two of those worthless, ripoff annuities, and transferred them into no loads, fidelity, and then to Vanguard when I retired.

Never looked back, and I was a lot older than you at the time.

Also show your colleagues the NY Times 5-part series.

Just curious, are you aware of the recent NY times 403(b) articles? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/your-money/403-b-retirement-plans-explained.html

Best of fortunes,

Steve

Yes, those articles were what got me started with the research. I also think our unions need to be a better job of educating new members about this. Even just providing a few websites or books with the initial compensation agreements seems reasonable.

Dave-We love you!!

You know what I meant !!!! You are a good person with a sense of ethics. The problem is so many so-called financial advisors are anything but. Most teachers will more likely to run into a shark than a person like you. Thats all I meant. I would highly recommend Dave Grant. NJ why not talk to Dave by phone?

Also I feel folks need to learn a little on their own so they can ascertain whether the advice they are getting makes sense. Too often we put our blind faith in experts and they take advantage.

Tony

Dave,

Yeah, agree with Tony.

Some of us worked hard behind the scenes to make the NY Times articles a reality. I was happy you were in the articles. Did you get any calls from teachers seeking help?

PS I got a few more hits on my website, but nothing earth shattering.

Steve

I'm just playing with you guys - I know I'm welcomed here.

My traffic spiked when the first few came out, and my prospective client traffic has been consistently higher this school year from teachers around the country. Traffic keeps climbing on Finance for Teachers - getting close to 6,000 visitors per month. Everything's trending in the right direction!

Steve - I agree, the NYT articles were great. I spoke frequently with Tara when she was putting those together and she did a great job.

Would Tara ever be interested in being a guest on the podcast? I would LOVE to see that happen.

C'mon Dan & Scott, make the call!

Erich

Would Tara ever be interested in being a guest on the podcast? I would LOVE to see that happen.

C'mon Dan & Scott, make the call!

Erich

Dan and Scott have asked her. She is supposed to have a baby anytime now. What a super mom and a great reporter. Next time I am in NY, I would like to meet her. This is the best story that has been published ever.

Kathy Kristof of the LA Times did a super job too in 2006 when she introduced the now famous Crystal Mendez, in one of her 3 part series with one part devoted to 403b. Crystal was sold a fixed annuity at age 22; it was the hideousness of the time. Got her picture on the front page of the LA Times.