JimK

Can An Employer Match Contributions?

Hi,

My understanding is that regardless of source the 457(b) limit is $13,000 for 2004. I believe the IRS includes employer contributions in it's definition of deferrals. I believe that the employer can fund the entire or partial $13,000 if they're so inclined.

Of course, Lori's knowledge is at a MUCH HIGHER level than mine.

Take care,

Jeffrey

Guest Sierra

Lori,

I stand corrected. Thank You.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeffrey,

Amounts in excess of $13,000 can be made to a 401(a) plan. This is how the govt er gets around the $13,000 limit for 457(b).

I trust this clears it up for you.

Peace and Hope,

Joel

Guest Sierra

Lori,

For 2005 if the 457(b) is maxed out at $14,000 how much can be contributed to the 401(a)? Is it an additional $42,000 or is it $28,000 (42K-14K)?

Peace,

Joel

Hi Joel,

Actually that doesn't clear it up for me. It takes me back to my original question on this thread:

Doesn't that depend on whether we're speaking of a governmental or a non-profit 457(b) plan? I did not realize that a non-governmental entity could offer a 401(a) plan.

Take care,

Jeffrey

Guest Sierra

Jeff,

I am now as confused as you are. Hopefully Lori Friedman or Michael Devault or another heavyweight can clarify this issue for you especially in light of the fact that I just came accross the following from another heavyweight---the Carol Calhoun Law Group. This quote refers to 457(b) plans:

Peace and hope,

Joel

===========================================

Are there limits on total contributions ? Lesser of $42,000 as indexed or 100% of pre-plan compensation.