Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

YTD Return at the half way point

My portfolio was flat, made $1184.00 year to date. 

• The total stock market returned +3.18%
  • Small and mid caps returned the highest in my portfolio: +6.14% 
  • My bonds took the losses: Total Bond Market index, -1.64%
  • Wellesley slid -2.13%
  • Internationals had the worst loss: -3.62% 

I hold only Wellington in my 457, I'm pretty sure I'm slightly positive in that one.   I've only been contributing since last year so it's not a lot. 

Most of my contributions are held in my 403b I hold 90/10  vtsax, vtiax, and vbilx . I'm definitely down on that.  

I'm up 1.05% for the year. If it wasn't for small caps I would be in the red. I am worried as market turnover is through the roof, reaching multi-year highs. Within the S&P 500 Index, investors traded more than $2.9 trillion worth of shares in each of the past two quarters, a feat last achieved in early 2008. This tells me uncertainty is creeping into the mindset of many about the future of the markets. When this happens people begin to act badly. Stay the course and don't react.

I was surprised that the number one holding in the Vanguard Extended Market Index is Tesla. I have about $78,000 invested in that index and they report .7% of the assets is Telsa Motors.

If my math is correct, and Krow36 will be happy to correct me if I am incorrect, ? I own almost two shares. Calculation: .007 times 78,000 = $546.00.   Tesla shares are trading at $308.90 at the close of trading on July 6. 

I will never purchase individual shares of Tesla Motors because I already invested in Tesla. 

Q2 Asset Allocation: "Steady as she goes" month after month, year after year right through 2008, the greatest stock market crash since the Great Depression.  This portfolio has been very similar for about 12 years about 30-35% stocks to 70-65% bonds. I have had the total bond market, total stock market and the total international stock market indices for many years. 

2018 Q2 Asset Allocation.JPG