sschullo

$1.50 gain in my portfolio!

Once in a great while my portfolio gains or loses a minuscule dollar amount after a single day of trading. Yesterday was one of those days. 

I think is interesting what the market gives and takes on a daily basis and how it performs and how much money I have saved with extremely low costs (WOW!) over many years with a typical, ordinary and boring portfolio appropriate for a 71-year-old who needs it for retirement. 

I have downloaded my portfolio from M* every day, just to watch it change from day to day, quarter to quarter, and year to year. I have a daily log going back three years, and an annual log going back 25 years. 

Anybody else had similar low dollar amount return? 

$1.50 gain on 091418!.JPG

I finally found somebody with a more intense addiction than I have!

I have a spreadsheet that shows the value of my portfolio in real time. It is on one of my screens almost 100% of the time the market is open. However, the only data I archive is how much I invested each year and how much my portfolio is worth at the end of each year. I almost never know:

1. How much my portfolio shifted on a daily basis.
  2. The exact performance of any one asset class. Although I sometimes have a rough/relative idea...for example, this year I know I've been pouring money into international trying to maintain my asset allocation. So it is pretty clear international is once again lagging domestic.
  3. The return on investment my portfolio generated for any time period.

I'm 100% addicted to that spreadsheet. I'm literally counting down the days until freedom. It isn't exactly healthy and I hope people avoid being like me in this respect.

Ed, you mean addiction? LOL And I found another bad speller. 

Heck, M* does all that work for me. It only takes a few minutes every trading day to download my portfolio. Copy and paste on my file what the DOW, Nasdaq, and S&P have done and a summary of the day's activities, all from M*.   

Steve

lol, I never could spell. Math sure, but language not as much. Oh well ?‍♂️

Although I haven’t noticed the oddity of a near zero change for the day, it is strangely satisfying when your asset allocation happens to fall perfectly in line down to the hundredth of a decimal.

27 minutes ago, EdLaFave said:

lol, I never could spell. Math sure, but language not as much. Oh well ?‍♂️

Although I haven’t noticed the oddity of a near zero change for the day, it is strangely satisfying when your asset allocation happens to fall perfectly in line down to the hundredth of a decimal.

Yep, the simple answer, proper asset allocation (NO speculations, no individual stocks, no actively managed funds other than Vanguard balanced funds, very low costs) and a proper balance between stocks and fixed. In my allocation above, my bonds went down and my stock indices went up. That's how it works. Love it and it's that simple. 

You guys are better than me. Check my Schwab Roth (all low-cost ETFs/Index Funds approx 95% equities), my 403b (100% equities, low cost vanguard index fund), and TDAmeritrade HSA (100% equities VTI etf) just about daily. Mint too, which monitors my 529, again all equities vanguard fund. Between all that and my pension fund, I just hope I'm doing it right.

One thing I wish Schwab would do would be to better demonstrate the yield from dividends. It does not count these into the gain in my Roth and sometimes makes it not as easy to examine some of the investments, particularly those with lower growth but higher yield.

44 minutes ago, DustinVoss said:

You guys are better than me. Check my Schwab Roth (all low-cost ETFs/Index Funds approx 95% equities), my 403b (100% equities, low cost vanguard index fund), and TDAmeritrade HSA (100% equities VTI etf) just about daily. Mint too, which monitors my 529, again all equities vanguard fund. Between all that and my pension fund, I just hope I'm doing it right.

One thing I wish Schwab would do would be to better demonstrate the yield from dividends. It does not count these into the gain in my Roth and sometimes makes it not as easy to examine some of the investments, particularly those with lower growth but higher yield.

What is wrong with reporting dividends? It's an important part of return also! That's why I keep my money away from all the brokerage houses. They play too many little useless and expensive games with the data. I used Schwab 20 years ago.  But got simple with all of my money in Vanguard, and TIAA. 

2 hours ago, DustinVoss said:

Schwab Roth (all low-cost ETFs/Index Funds approx 95% equities), my 403b (100% equities, low cost vanguard index fund), and TDAmeritrade HSA (100% equities VTI etf)

I love the aggressive allocation. Aside from my emergency fund, I'm 100% stocks. You and I can commiserate whenever the next crash happens and half our money disappears! I've been mentally preparing for that event for maybe 5 years now.

2 hours ago, DustinVoss said:

I totally get wanting to track total performance (dividends + growth).

However, one of the things I love most about index funds is that I don't have to track performance. I sleep well at night knowing I got exactly what was fair---whatever the market returned. I don't miss the days of active management where I was working out equations to see how my fund was doing...ugh.

Update!

Today my portfolio, which is in the 7 figures, lost $2.54 today! I find that fascinating. It is amazing that so much money can either gain or lose so little on some days. But this is the 2nd time in two weeks. 

DOW up 122 but the NASDAQ down 37, yet my total stock market ETF went down with the international stocks. But my total bond market went up offsetting the losses in equities. 

$2.50 lost today!.JPG