Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

Q3 YTD return report

I got a whopping 1.9% return after three quarters. My total bond market index has predictably dragged my return down by increased interest rates this year, 3 rate increases. 

BTW, I am not being sarcastic. That's how bonds work in an increasing interest rate environment. But we all want more return and will finally have a little more fixed account return in about five years when most of the bonds in the index fund will mature and the new higher interest bonds will replace the old bonds.  

I'm still learning about how bonds work... I hold only VWENX in my 457 and I hold VBILX in my 403.   This quarter is the first time all year my 403b account holdings are above my contributions.  I try to remind myself to take a long view because this is the first year I've actually paid attention to stocks going up and down and I know watching doesn't change it....  VWENX seems to be doing better than my 3 fund in the 403 account. I'm assuming it is the international stocks rather than the bonds. .