Bashdash

I am now charging my brokerage a fee to have me as a customer.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all on this board and the plethora of amazing info.

Quick tip for new retirees:  If you move your 403b to an IRA at fidelity or one of the other many brokers make sure you take advantage of any bonus offers.  Probably can get a quick thousand depending on the size.  Of course make sure low cost index funds are available first.

Quick tip of those with a taxable brokerage account.  I first moved my taxable account to a brokerage who happily paid me 600$ to have my money.  ( not a big account by the way).  Better yet, in around five months after I had the money there in which was required I then called up and asked them for paperwork to switch to another brokerage.  I really didn’t have plans to do so.  Next thing I know they offer me a 400 retention offer to stay another six months.  I was very nice throughout the whole process and even said I have been happy with the service I have been receiving but could not resist an offer my sister had emailed me from another brokerage.  This phone call took ten minutes.    Fast forward another six months and I do the exact same thing.  The rep says they probably won’t be able to help me this time and puts me on hold.  Comes back on and offers me another 400$.  

This is account just has me invested in VTI and I pay no other fees or commissions.   Doubt this will put a dent into the huge amount of fees I paid as a new teacher to the sharks.  Thought this might some of the kind folks on this board.  I do have a vanguard Roth IRA which I won’t mess with regardless of any offers.  Those with existing IRAs at fidelity or anywhere other than vanguard should be consistently asking for retention offers.  

Ask and you shall receive.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Vanguard would refuse such a request, but I’d like to hear the results if somebody gives it a go. 

The idea of getting Fidelity to pay you money to hold your account while you invest in their ZERO expense ratio index funds is attractive.

People do similar things with savings accounts and credit cards. In my younger days I would have been all over it, but I’m old and lazy now ??‍♂️