tony

Fire Savers Race To Retirement

Today is the first time I read MMM’s blog and I was surprised by just how much I disliked it. Now I understand some of the people criticizing FIRE.

I’m looking forward to that FIRE documentary though. @sschullo, any idea when that is coming out?

13 hours ago, EdLaFave said:

Today is the first time I read MMM’s blog and I was surprised by just how much I disliked it. Now I understand some of the people criticizing FIRE.

I’m looking forward to that FIRE documentary though. @sschullo, any idea when that is coming out?

They are hoping for a January or February release. 

I read his first 3 or 4 posts where he spoke from two different personas (MMM and the Skeptic). I fully understand he is trying to be an interesting showman and intentionally outrageous. I just don’t like it.

I like my finances the same way I like my physics, math, and science. Teach me the facts, explain why it is useful, and show me how to apply it. If you attempt to play on my emotions (especially without thoroughly arguing/proving the facts), promise the world, or present yourself as some kind of savior...then I’m instantly going to dislike you and not trust you. It’s a hardwired physiological response.

I also believe he is wildly out of touch with the circumstances of tens of millions (maybe more) of Americans.

In the Playing With Fire trailer he said he accidentally built a cult. After reading those posts it seems hardly accidental. He seemed destined to be ignored or develop a cult like following...his presentation didn’t allow for many other outcomes.

These quotes illustrate why I feel this way..

You will suddenly be able to fly freely through the world, free from having to work for a living, able to start living life as you choose, doing exotic things like spending time raising your young children, taking a 3-week vacation each month, or just enjoying understated shows of leisure like sweeping your driveway in pajamas at 11am on a sunny Thursday morning.

Everyone can do it. But most people think they can’t because they’re still stuck in the Matrix. They blame “the economy” or other external factors, when really the only problem is they aren’t listening hard enough to Mr. Money Mustache.

But there also a fine line between staying afloat and rising up quickly to become very wealthy. What if the person breaking even above found a way to save $10 a day instead of spending $25 more than she made each month?

Even if you work in Wal-Mart, you make more money than I did, you get to walk around in a huge fancy store, and you can save almost everything you earn if you don’t get ridiculous and waste it all.