Sign in to follow this  
tony

Periodic Table Of InvestMent Returns Chart-2018

Here is an additional chart that includes bonds. As you can see nothing did very well  in 2018 but it was time for this to happen and it might turn out to be a blessing  in disguise because the bottom did not fall out. Jut a pause and a correction.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-08-at-12.14.42-PM-1024x743.png

Hi Tony,

Not really AWOL, I've been here, reading posts and links, just not checking in, or commenting. Been spending time on Bogleheads. Will try to mend my ways.

17 hours ago, krow36 said:

The Callan Table is always interesting! 2018 is the only year for 19 years that "Cash Equivalent" was at the top! 

And that year's return (2000) was an astronomical 6.18%! 

If I could get 6.18% a year consistently every year in a cash  equivalent I would not risk investing in stocks.The  Periodic Table is a great way to visually demonstrate the markets  wild gyrations  and how every asset class changes in performance sooner or later. What goes up is sure to go down in a mostly random, nonpredictable manner eventually. All asset classes  show a reversion-to-the-mean tendency sooner or later, but the uncertainty about next year's returns emphasizes that much luck is a major factor in everyone's portfolio returns. Luck matters and in general overwhelms an individual's skill. Thats why most fund managers and financial advisors can't beat market averages over time although they always tell you they can. Better to stick to total coverage index funds. This chart says it all!!