sschullo

2019 YTD return--January is good!

My YTD return: 3.0% after today's rally on the last day of January!!!!!!!

30% stocks / 70% bonds. This stock bond balance has not changed much since 2005. I sailed through 2008 without concern as I learned my diversification and stock bond split lesson from the tech bubble disaster when I lost 70%. Never again. 

M* report says that this is the best January since 1987! Wow! 

Bogleheads thread: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145610 

Anybody else? 

I am up 5.5% but am still down from my previous highs so I'm not that excited about this month's return. But I stayed the course and didn't panic when things got tumultuous in December. I am also glad we experienced what appears to be a correction which is a healthy sign that we are not heading toward a major downturn. Thank goodness folks didn't unload all their stocks and cause an avalanche. My highest performers this month seem to be the two funds that lost the most last year. Small cap and international index are now leading this month with the highest returns. I'm about 65-35  or close to it but I need to check.

Tony

2 hours ago, tony said:

I am up 5.5% but am still down from my previous highs so I'm not that excited about this month's return. But I stayed the course and didn't panic when things got tumultuous in December. I am also glad we experienced what appears to be a correction which is a healthy sign that we are not heading toward a major downturn. Thank goodness folks didn't unload all their stocks and cause an avalanche. My highest performers this month seem to be the two funds that lost the most last year. Small cap and international index are now leading this month with the highest returns. I'm about 65-35  or close to it but I need to check.

Tony

Our portfolios are behaving as they should. More risk higher return, less risk lower return. But on the downside, higher risk, higher losses, and lower risk, less loss. 

Vanguard won't figure my 403B (now managed by Newport Group) in with my other Roth and taxable accounts.

403B is up 4.9% ytd thru 1/30/19

Roth and taxable are up 6.2% ytd thru today 1/31/19.  I'm feeling good about maxing my Roth on Jan. 2 instead of DCA for the first time.

MN Gopher

I use Morningstar to track my performance and you may already be aware of it. If you want to see what performance your portfolio in total is giving YTD  and by the fund just pump in the fund names and shares owned and it will track it for you. I am sure there are other ways but that's what I still use. It's free. and I'm not a spreadsheet kind of guy so it gives me the info I need quickly. Also, there is also a tool on the page call instant --ray which will breakdown your allocations and diversifications for you. It's free. If interested go to morningstar.com and go to my portfolio. They will try to rope you in to pay for a membership but just ignore that and move on.

It seems you are on your way with good investment choices and a good savings rate. Congratulations!!

Since you ask, it looks like mine's up about 7.2% in January '19.  Up 1.14% for 1/1/18 - 2/1/19.  Up 25.84% for 1/1/17 - 2/1/19.

For the benefit of any newcomers: these short term returns don't imply that we should respond to them by making any kind of investment change; sticking with a planned allocation and regular contributions over the long (multi-decade) haul is what matters.   Making moves in response to the market ends up costing you money, and following market gyrations can cause unnecessary emotional upset.  I recall John Bogle's advice about periodic brokerage statements, advice which all of us on this thread are clearly ignoring: "Don't peek!"

1 hour ago, tony said:

You certainly are doing very well.

Yes!   But as you know, those results can turn the other direction anytime...  I suspect you'd also be happy with the results if you check back 2 or 3 years on your own accounts.

PS: I'm using the Personal Capital aggregator to get these figures... given the fact that I've been consolidating various far-flung employer-related accounts in the past two years, I'm not confident the percentages are accurate.  But that's the best record I've got.  Things are looking good, I can say that much, though I still have a way to go before I'm convinced that I have all I need for retirement.

12 hours ago, tony said:

MN Gopher

I use Morningstar to track my performance and you may already be aware of it. If you want to see what performance your portfolio in total is giving YTD  and by the fund just pump in the fund names and shares owned and it will track it for you. I am sure there are other ways but that's what I still use. It's free. and I'm not a spreadsheet kind of guy so it gives me the info I need quickly. Also, there is also a tool on the page call instant --ray which will breakdown your allocations and diversifications for you. It's free. If interested go to morningstar.com and go to my portfolio. They will try to rope you in to pay for a membership but just ignore that and move on.

It seems you are on your way with good investment choices and a good savings rate. Congratulations!!

Thanks, I will check out that m* feature.

For reference, the US stock market as a whole was up 8.6% in January. The S&P500 had its best January since 1987.

I was surprised by the rebound and I continue to be concerned about high valuations. The Schiller PE is back up to 29.75, which means stocks are rather expensive.

...of course that doesn’t impact my actions, I still dump every paycheck into stocks. 

If you want to learn how to track investments and other financial issues through more sophisticated software here is a good summary with some software ideas.  I'm sticking to Morningstar because I'm not that sophisticated and not into numbers all that much nor do I think they always come out accurate long term. https://www.investopedia.com/advisor-network/articles/how-manage-personal-finances-software/?utm_campaign=rss_applenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=apple_news

3 hours ago, EdLaFave said:

of course that doesn’t impact my actions, I still dump every paycheck into stocks. 

If all else fails, stick a Post-it note on your computer with Warren Buffett’s advice: Be greedy when others are fearful. Market declines never turned him into an ostrich. If he racked up losses, they didn’t get him down. Instead, he seized the opportunity to buy stocks when they were on sale.  I wish I had learned that sooner than I did

It was just reported that California teacher's pension plan, my pension, lost 3.2% in 2018.

I think that's about right considering the amount of equity risk they are taking on.