tony

She Hasn't Had A Savings Account In 9 Years

Gosh it's my day for corrections. I also overestimated the starting teacher salary for my old school system. It's actually $44,500.

Apparently proponents (whoever they are, maybe people on her staff, maybe people working with her) distributed an overview of the Green New Deal that contained the language in question, which you can read here. It still isn’t clear to me, in the context of that document, what it means to provide economic security to those unwilling to work.

Major outlets have discussed this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/07/ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal-offers-economic-security-for-those-unwilling-to-work.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/ocasio-cortez-aoc-green-new-deal-controversy-unwilling-to-work-line-faq-2019-2

Thanks Ed

I knew I had read it. And it looks like it was not fake news after all. Perhaps just a poor choice of words which has now been corrected. 

Thanks for that, Ed.  So I guess that is some staffer's (or volunteer's?) summary of the to-be-announced plan.  There's much in the actual document that remains hazy to me in terms of actual policy, and I think I saw where AOC said she thought of the GND as a kind of "request for proposals" rather than a concrete statement of policy.  As you said above, it's basically an assertion of ideals, not law making.

The universal income discussion would quickly wander pretty far from 403b matters, but it is compelling.  One aspect that is interesting to me is how that idea comes into and out of fashion (or "the Overton Window") in different periods.  President Nixon (!) actually proposed some kind of basic income for the poorest households in the late 1960s, and a minimum income was part of McGovern's presidential campaign promise in 1972, I think.  I don't know my history well enough to know about the depression era, but I think it's a safe bet universal incomes were part of the discussion then, too (the Works Progress Administration seems like a variation on that concept).