TonyZ

NEA Direct Invest 403b - NJ teacher

Hello All,

My question for the NEA Direct Invest for my 403b is “can I do this on my own or does this program need to be provided/allowed by my district?”

Also, any insight to how it is and how difficult it may be to set up and maintain? 

Thank you,

TonyZ 

Your district determines which 403b and 457b plans you’re allowed to use (which is the source of a lot of pain for people).

If Security Benefit is on your approved vendor list then you could use the NEA DirectInvest 403b plan all on your own. 

Tony Z

We have already answered your question in previous posts every which way we can. Have you read them?  I mean we would just be repeating ourselves at this point.

It must be offered by your school system or you cannot sign up for Security Benefit/NEA DIRECT INVEST in a 403b 

Best wishes

Tony

TonyZ

I would like to make a suggestion. Go see the person in charge of investments and ask them about addingSecurity Benefit/ NEA invest and Aspire. Unfortunately though adding Security benefit might not necessarily be a great idea because besides offering availability to NEA Direct Invest, they also sell some high fee products that educators might end up signing up for. It would be up to you to tell others to avoid other Security Benefit products besides NEA invest. So maybe Adding Aspire might be a better idea and go self direct into Vanguard Index funds or even fidelity..

I remember we had security benefit on our list and they sold funds with fees as high as 3%. 

No problem. Read through those posts and if it still is not clear let us know.  If you are new to all this it can sound complex but the more you follow this discussion board the easier it becomes to understand the ridiculous complexities of the 403b world in education.  All of us here are very passionate about helping you and others improve their 403b choices.

We will hold your hand. It’s the one’s who stop asking we worry about the most!