Sign in to follow this  
Admin

An Unlikely Effect of Jack Bogle’s Creation: Helping to Keep Inflation Low

An Unlikely Effect of Jack Bogle’s Creation: Helping to Keep Inflation Low by The New York Times 

Excerpts...

In January alone, the Bureau of Labor Statistics found, overall portfolio management costs in the United States “plunged 5.2 percent,” Michael Feroli, the chief United States economist at J. P. Morgan, said in a note on Feb. 14.

By December 2018, Vanguard accounted for 24.8 percent of all stock and bond mutual fund assets in the United States, according to Morningstar. And Vanguard and BlackRock together controlled more than 34 percent of those assets. The two companies continue to attract enormous sums of money around the world: $176 billion flowed into Vanguard last year; $167 billion went to BlackRock. Fidelity was a “distant third’ with $24 billion, Morningstar said.

---

Note: I am a NY Times subscriber and we need great journalism more than ever. I hope you will support great journalism. - Dan Otter

3 hours ago, Admin said:

An Unlikely Effect of Jack Bogle’s Creation: Helping to Keep Inflation Low by The New York Times 

Excerpts...

In January alone, the Bureau of Labor Statistics found, overall portfolio management costs in the United States “plunged 5.2 percent,” Michael Feroli, the chief United States economist at J. P. Morgan, said in a note on Feb. 14.

By December 2018, Vanguard accounted for 24.8 percent of all stock and bond mutual fund assets in the United States, according to Morningstar. And Vanguard and BlackRock together controlled more than 34 percent of those assets. The two companies continue to attract enormous sums of money around the world: $176 billion flowed into Vanguard last year; $167 billion went to BlackRock. Fidelity was a “distant third’ with $24 billion, Morningstar said.

---

Note: I am a NY Times subscriber and we need great journalism more than ever. I hope you will support great journalism. - Dan Otter

TIAA half billion in low cost, passive assets should also be included. As far as I know, as I once owned a CREF REIT Roth and the .99% ER was way too expensive. 

I get the Sunday-only LA Times, and don't have time to read much of it!

Good to hear about LA Times subscription. Their new owner is pumping money into them. Several years ago I decided to subscribe to a wide variety of media. When you get the Sunday NY Times delivered like we do, you get access to online as well. - Dan  

Hat's off to you, Dan.  Journalism needs financial support, and society needs journalism if it is to hold onto any hope for justice, freedom or honest government.  I've abandoned the printed newspapers (though I subscribe to print editions of the New Yorker and The Atlantic, and I always enjoy a printed paper when I travel), but I subscribe to the digital NY Times, LA Times and Washington Post.  Note that the NYT and WaPo offer discounted subscriptions to educators, and even without a discount  the online-only subscriptions generally cost less than print delivery.

Hat's off to you as well, whyme. I am hoping this becomes a growing trend. I know NY Times digital subscriptions have been growing: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/business/media/new-york-times-earnings-subscriptions.html

I still contend that of all of the 403(b) stories, no series meant more to the movement than Tara Siegel Bernard and Ron Lieber's work for the NY Times https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/your-money/403-b-retirement-plans-fees-teachers.html

We subscribe to our local newspaper and to the NY Times M-F. I find the eNYT easier to read due to the small font of the print edition. I also subscribe to the eNewYorker. I agree we need to support good journalism by paying for it!

Tara and Ron's articles have been outstanding. I keep checking the My Money section always hoping for another of their articles. I like the Jeff Sommer articles on investing also, for instance:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/your-money/fees-on-mutual-funds-fall-thank-yourself.html?mabReward=wR3&moduleDetail=recommendations-1&action=click&contentCollection=Your Money&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&configSection=article&isLoggedIn=true&src=recg&pgtype=article