debo

Vanguard 403B choices

I'm planning to being 403B contributions through my employer.  There are so many Vanguard choices.  What criteria should I use to choose one?  I'm within 5 years of retirement and am mostly in Vanguards stock funds.  I know this is a bonehead question but I have no idea where to start.

There are no "bonehead" questions here--we look forward to any questions. Whatever question you ask, there are probably other folks with the same question, lurking, just waiting for you to ask a question!

We think it's best to look at all your retirement investments as a whole. That means in addition to your 403b account, you should also consider your other retirement accounts such as IRAs, your taxable account, your spouse's retirement accounts, etc.

Do you have a preferred asset allocation, the ratio of stock funds to bond funds? If you are 5 years from retirement, you might consider an asset allocation of about 60% stocks and 40% bonds. However this is a very personal decision and you might reasonably choose one that's anywhere between 40% and 80% stocks. Do you invest in international as well as US stock funds? 

Do you have a pension? If so, consider that you may not need to take withdrawals from your 403b or IRAs until well into retirement? So you will be investing for a longer period than just 5 years. Will you be 59.5 when you expect to retire?

Your easiest choice of a good low-cost Vanguard fund for your 403b is one of their Target Retirement funds. I suggest you decide on an asset allocation, for example 60/40, and pick the TR fund with that asset allocation. TR funds gradually become more conservative over time, so if it's 60/40 now, in 5 years time your fund might be 50/60. Here's the TR 2025 fund which is now 65/35. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/VTTVX 

Another very easy choice would be one of Vanguard's Life Strategy funds. These funds don't change their asset allocation over time. The LS Moderate Growth fund stays at 60/40. https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/lifestrategy/#/

If you only want a US stock market fund, we prefer Vanguard's Total Stock Market fund. You can't get a fund that is more diversified, based on companies' value in the  US stock market.  

I'm about the same distance from retirement as you and I have the TR 2025 in my 403B.  Vanguard recently reduced the expense ratios on these funds in their 403Bs.  I think it's .09% instead of the .13% they have listed, but don't quote me on that number exactly.

You’ve gotten some good advice so far.

You can build a three fund portfolio (VTSAX, VTIAX, and VBTLX), buy a target date fund which gets progressively more bond heavy, or a LifeStrategy fund which maintains its stock/bond split. All are great options, which means your biggest decision is what your stock/bond split should be.

You may want to read my Investing 101 page as well as the page I wrote about Vanguard’s 403b.

I’m making the assumption you have a Vanguard 403b, which may not be the case since you can buy Vanguard funds through several vendors.

If you provide more information about your circumstances (risk tolerance, other accounts/investments, pensions, available vendors and their fees, willingness to manage a simple portfolio, etc) then you may get more insightful feedback.