sschullo

FIRE Movement going mainstream on CBSnews

Wonderful news!

June 1st was the documentary premiere of Playing with FIRE in San Diego. Georgiana and I had the privilege of meeting the stars, the executive director and the director in the documentary because I donated some $$ for production expenses. I was titled, Associate Producer. LOL!  I read their book, their gurus books, and watched the documentary with a sold-out crowd of 250.  It takes a lot of guts to change from a high spending young couple to a more frugal lifestyle and be public about it. They are on track to reach financial independence in about a decade when they are in their early 40s. 

These young people in the FIRE got it right out of the gate which took me almost a lifetime to get myself straighten out. However, I was naturally frugal and knew that material things do not make people happy at a young age, however, I was not a naturally born investor until my 50s. Despite it all, I still retired a little earlier than most of my generation. The FIRE folks have already invested in Vanguard low-cost index funds. And they know that material things don't make people happy. 

We complain that our friends and relatives have no interest in personal finances while these young people take it seriously and ARE doing the right thing at a young age. As I have said before on this board, I have a lot of respect for their courage to go against the consumer, borrow and spend culture. 

Steve

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/f-i-r-e-savers-behind-the-trend-of-aggressively-saving/

Here are the remaining premieres 

Washington D.C. Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:30 PM  8:30 PM

Seattle Monday, June 24, 2019 6:00 PM  9:00 PM

New York City Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:00 PM  8:00 PM

Atlanta Saturday, June 29, 2019 5:00 PM  7:00 PM

Detroit Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:00 PM  8:00 PM

Watch the trailer: https://www.playingwithfire.co/the-documentary 

3 minutes ago, EdLaFave said:

I’m looking forward to watching the post-theatre release.

Don't I look like an Associate Producer! LOL! 

Georgiana is with Taylor and I am with the Scott and Taylor! 

The connection with teachers is the fact that teachers have a pension. The vast majority of the FIRE group have no defined benefit plan. Its all defined and after-tax contributions with the Roth. 

62368934_2365341790170903_3235290360318001152_n.jpg

IMG_7915.JPG

Steve with Scott and Taylor.jpg

Steve

You never cease to amaze me, you always seem to be  where the action is. By the way  , you look very youthful. 

Tony

Awesome, Steve. You have now played a key role in two personal finance movements: 403(b) advocacy and the FIRE movement. Proud to know you. Teaser alert: Steve appears on our next pod which comes out tomorrow! 

Thanks Tony and Dan,

We can learn about organizing for our advocacy by connecting with the FIRE movement. One of their many life-affirming ideals is to require financial literacy in our schools. I mentioned Tim's name to the director and he never heard about Tim Ranzetta's Next Gen Personal Finances. Wow! That's a connection that would be awesome. These young people get it. They are not going to follow the borrow and spend generation.  They were negatively affected by 2008 seeing their parents and friends struggle financially, and they are saying there must be a better way to prepare and taking 100% responsibility. Everything is AWESOME!!

PS: Dan, the next CampFI conference is returning to Joshua Tree in October and it is been sold out for weeks. Georgiana and I are on the waiting list. 

This is last years attendance. Nancy of Moe is also there. 

Steve

Joshua Tree CampFI.jpg

2 hours ago, Admin said:

I want to go. How do I get on the list?

Follow Stephen Baughier on his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.baughier 

Specific information found here including the lineup of speakers: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/campfi-southwest-2019-oct-11-14-columbus-day-weekend-tickets-49212446753?aff=erelexpmlt 

He is the coordinator. We got to know him well last summer. Tell him you are a friend of Georgiana and Stephen. I'll PM his email. 

Wow- great post and awesome news Steve! For the record, I was teetering about going to Joshua Tree’s CampFI 2018 until Steve told me he and Georgiana were going. I got on the wait list and scooped up a ticket and never looked back. It was wonderful being in person with like-minds, and meeting Steve in person,  and some where in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and up too. The shared mindset was present and support and sense of community too, regardless of age.

Great pos, thanks for sharing and for your role in producing it Steve!

On 6/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, MoeMoney said:

Wow- great post and awesome news Steve! For the record, I was teetering about going to Joshua Tree’s CampFI 2018 until Steve told me he and Georgiana were going. I got on the wait list and scooped up a ticket and never looked back. It was wonderful being in person with like-minds, and meeting Steve in person,  and some where in their 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and up too. The shared mindset was present and support and sense of community too, regardless of age.

Great pos, thanks for sharing and for your role in producing it Steve!

Thanks Moe,

Great meeting you and talking with you last year. Wish we in the advocacy community could meet more often. The FIRE people are meeting all the time.  

BTW, we just found out that we are going after being on the waiting list!