Sign in to follow this  
sschullo

2019 Half Way Mark Returns

Return on a stock/bond split of 33% Stock/67% Bond portfolio: 6.9% Return YTD from January 1st to June 30th. 

My stock allocation edged up from 30% to 33%. I will rebalance back to 30% when it reaches 35%. 

But the story is the bond market! Wow! Look at the returns on my bonds! 

Vanguard's Total Bond Index returned 6.07% and Vanguards International Bond index return 6.12%. 

Wellesley up 10.64% (65% bonds and 35% value large-cap stocks). 

Most of you who have higher equity allocations must be just as pleased as I am. 

What is your YTD return?

2019 Q2 Investment Returns.JPG

2019 Q2 Fees.JPG

2019 Q2 Asset Allocation.JPG

My return was 12.77 % YTD  with at least 35% bonds.   Total market Index was my highest performer. We are having a great stretch of returns. I have to wonder how it all will end.

My Wellesley returned 10.64% YTD. How did the other balanced or Target Date Funds do? Take a look at the halfway mark returns for Vanguards Target Date Funds. There is something positive about the find it, auto-rebalancing as the years go by, and, last but not least, you can forget it. It's a million times better than any costly annuity. 

2019 Q2 Target date funds returns!.jpg

33 minutes ago, kirklandfan said:

May I ask how is your portfolio fees .07? When I add up the fees I get .69. Am I adding this incorrectly?

I think that's the average expense ratio of all his funds.

For some reason Vanguard will figure out your personal rate of return for each time period except for YTD.

However for the two funds I own in tax advantaged accounts, the return at the half way point were as follows.  Note this is the funds return, not my personal return, because in the case of the 403b, I didn't put it all in on the same date.  The Roth I did put in the first day of the year.

403b    VRIVX       Vanguard Institutional Target Date Fund 2025 (about 65/35  stock/bond)        13.23%  YTD

Roth     VASGX      Vanguard Life Strategy Growth (80/20  stock/bond)       14.36%  YTD   (This one is now 15.27% as of July 2  😀 )

1 hour ago, MNGopher said:

I think that's the average expense ratio of all his funds.

Yes, M* averages out the column. What I intend to do is calculate the dollar amount from each fund and add all expenses and divide it with the total amount of my portfolio. That will provide a more accurate expense ratio.