sschullo

Playing with FIRE documentary in Los Angeles Aug 1

Not sure how or when that will happen, but it is one of the top documentaries showing on TUGG. Orlando hosted one on July 8 but  there are other dates and locations to choose from. I know there’s no place like home but community adds a certain element to a viewing. I’m setting one up for Long Island in September and it’s pending theatre acceptance.  Come up north!

Locations and dates

Ed,

Sorry for the delay. Go to the playing with FIRE homepage CONTACT and email Scott that you want a DVD with the promise that you will show it to friends too. They have a program for this as I am going to do this in the fall with some of my friends. 

Steve

The documentary is spreading. They were interviewed on CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/10/18/how-to-retire-at-40.html. It will be on all of the digital networks. 

My amateur analyses and insight: we sometimes trivialize the fact that people can live below their means. Scott and Taylor's experience made me think that learning to invest with a simple portfolio is a lot easier than changing one's entire life to spending less. There is so much emotion with "keeping up with the Jones." Fortunately, we public k12 teachers are natural at frugal living, as do engineers.

Scott and Taylor were extravagant spenders, no doubt. They show the withdrawal symptoms of living without all of those extravagant things (short term depression, sadness, lot of stress, wondering if they are doing the right thing). Heck, who would not be depressed after owning an expensive car, living in San Diego IN Coronado Island, one of the most expensive places to live in North America!, to living in snowy and cold Oregan. This young couple could have divorced over this change. They had so much courage to go against our materialist culture and live a simpler life because they wanted to be with family a little more than they were doing in San Diego. Addiction to spending is sooooooooooooooo American. All of my long adult life, the data shows that our economy depends on 70% spending! 

2 cents,

Steve