tony

IS THEIR REALLY A RETIREMENT CRISIS

Is there a retirement “crisis,” or isn’t there?

Though this is hardly a new question, it has been brought to the forefront recently by a vigorous debate at the excellent Advisor Perspectives website. While most who posted comments in that debate supported the conventional wisdom that there is such a crisis, a few voiced a vigorous dissent.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/reality-check-is-there-truly-a-retirement-crisis-2019-06-27/print

Here’s a ‘crisis’ I’m just learning about... and I feel like hitting my head against the wall.... “why was I not aware of this before” sort of thing:

Ohio is one of 15 states where if you are a teacher you get  2/3 of your spouse’s Social Security benefits taken away. It’s called the hero penalty. Really????  On top of our lousy pay and dwindling benefits overall?? I feel like I have IDIOT on my forehead sometimes for ever being in this profession. 

In light of my husband recently now having a debilitating life threatening disease..... this is  completely unacceptable...and maybe devastating. 

Don't be hard on yourself. We don't know what we don't know. Most of the posters here have made plenty of mistakes, me included. Our mistakes ,if we correct them make us wise.  If you find out more please share it here to help others. You are probably not the only person going through this. You will have the opportunity to help others .