tony

Retiring at 65 a thing of the past

Interesting. Just the opposite of Fire?

• A majority of workers say that they plan to stop working after age 65 or never retire.
  • While 65 is still the age most workers around the world say they plan to quit, that default age is creeping up.
  • Countries such as the U.S., the Netherlands, France and Spain are all moving towards another age — 67.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/30/why-retiring-at-65-could-become-a-thing-of-the-past.html

I wish the article would have included the data on the actual current median age for retirement. It wouldn't surprise me if people's expectations are significantly optimistic.

3 hours ago, EdLaFave said:

I wish the article would have included the data on the actual current median age for retirement. It wouldn't surprise me if people's expectations are significantly optimistic.

You are correct.  According to the article linked below, the average U.S. retirement age (as of 2017) is about 60, the median is 62.  Retirement planners advise working extra years beyond basic readiness, and those without a plan say they will work until they drop, but circumstances (health, family responsibilities or workplace changes) often make it impossible to work at a full-wage job as we age.  

https://dqydj.com/average-retirement-age-in-the-united-states/